Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pens for marking or numbering film negatives - HABS & HAER guidance 2020.

Re: Pens for marking or numbering film negatives - HABS & HAER guidance 2020.

FWIW I did my own test as per above. aA bit different results-there must be batch differences. I found the Staedler Pigment Liner and Faber Ecco most opaque so I started labeling a project. I slightly preferred the ECCO and started with that. However in actual use the Ecco dried out quickly between labeling negatives even with the cap on as I was labeling them and then scanning them (on a run of 65 negs). It was a huge PITA and after 10 negs I pitched the ECCO in the trash and finished the rest without problem with the Staedler Pigment Liner. I just ordered some more of the Staedler's to keep in reserve.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 3-Dec-2020 at 11:54.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I use the Microns, have a few different colors. Will keep an eye out for the others.

Do or do not. There is no try.

This is a little off-topic from HABS & HAER, but might be helpful to someone out there.

The Staedler Pigment Liners work great on LF and 120 film, but I've found that the ink doesn't adhere well to 35mm film base and rubs off. Sakura Micron pens seem to work fine on 35mm.
    Last edited by Steve Goldstein; 3-Dec-2020 at 16:30.

I use the Pigma Micron as well. Never had an issue with it. I've had the same pen for years and it hasn't dried out.

I write on the plastic archival pages I keep my negatives protected in. Which writing pens are best to write on the page??

I also have a writing pen from Delkin Devices that I've used on my DVD's. What's recommended with DVD's. Could the same pen for the negative archival page be used on the DVD??

For HABS, I guess I am always looking for a pen that lays down enough pigment so that I don't have to make a second pass. I find my my second passes always end up a bit off register and looks messy. Maybe I don't wait long enough for the first to fully dry.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I write on the plastic archival pages I keep my negatives protected in. Which writing pens are best to write on the page??

I also have a writing pen from Delkin Devices that I've used on my DVD's. What's recommended with DVD's. Could the same pen for the negative archival page be used on the DVD??
    I use the same, the Micron. Works well with both.

Another related question is removing the writing if you make a mistake. The only archival solution I know of is Pec-12 cleaning solution and it struggles to remove the Staedler Pigment Liner and leaves a slight ghost image and some residue. As I am writing in the rebate of LF film, the ghost image of my previous writing does not show in the contact print nor does the slight residue of the Pec show-even in light grey cloudless skies. BUT the amount of rubbing with the PEC-12 solution on a Pec tissue to remove the ink rattles my cage a bit.

It definitely works. Any other thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Another related question is removing the writing if you make a mistake. The only archival solution I know of is Pec-12 cleaning solution and it struggles to remove the Staedler Pigment Liner and leaves a slight ghost image and some residue. As I am writing in the rebate of LF film, the ghost image of my previous writing does not show in the contact print nor does the slight residue of the Pec show-even in light grey cloudless skies. BUT the amount of rubbing with the PEC-12 solution on a Pec tissue to remove the ink rattles my cage a bit.

It definitely works. Any other thoughts.
    Stateler makes an erasing pen that works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Stateler makes an erasing pen that works very well.
    Reading up on that on their website, as far as I can tell, they seem to be made for erasing non-permanent pigments. They don't seem to make anything to erase the permanent pigment inks.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: