Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x5 & 5x7 Negatives - Camera Scanning with Nikon D800E

Re: 4x5 & 5x7 Negatives - Camera Scanning with Nikon D800E

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Isn't this copying?
    Yes.

(In the world of reproduction the terms are getting interchanged more and more, maybe camera scanning, maybe photo copying, maybe duplication, maybe digital reproduction, but I could argue that scanning is copying, so I went with camera scanning.) If you want to go down the rabbit hole, you can search for "FADGI".
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

What software do you use to invert the files? Invert function in Photoshop or a dedicated software like negativelab?

For B&W I use photoshop or something else. I found Negativelab a bit of overkill.
    Color, both are good but Photoshop is a lot of more work.

Why did you choose to remove the lightbox from the Beseler slide duplicator? That's what I use for everything from submini to LF. It has a continuous light source for focusing, and a pretty powerful flash for the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Why did you choose to remove the lightbox from the Beseler slide duplicator?
    Alas it did not have a large enough backlight source for 5x7 negatives.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Beseler made an adapter for 4x5" film -- part #4112. It's basically a box that replaces the slide/film holder -- with a 4x5" piece of white plexiglass on top, about two inches above the platform. It would be easy to make the exact same thing (with wood instead of metal) for 5x7" or even larger formats.

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    ... Only the CURVE is inverted in the curves dialog to show a positive view of exposure.
    This is a quote from the original post... it was hidden in there...As far as duplicating black and white negatives, I invert the negative as it comes in to Lightroom by applying a preset that inverts curves. Neg>Pos. I then massage the curve to match the contrast and exposure of the negative.

You can do it manually without the preset step too.
    `

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    What software do you use to invert the files? Invert function in Photoshop or a dedicated software like negativelab?
    So as I said, I just invert as a preset in Lightroom. (either upon tethered capture, or afterward). I tried Negativelab, and was impressed by the software and interface, but by the time I tried it I was pretty fluent in curve-flipping and had already set up a number of Lightroom presets with different curves from linear to flat to contrasty that I could "try" as I toggled through the presets previews. If I was doing color negatives then I would be using NegativeLab for sure.
    `

This is what the simple silicone bracelet looks like. I pick them up as giveaways at fairs, concerts, etc., and I use them to keep my lenses from creeping out of focus. You can use a rubber band from asparagus in a pinch. My NIKON branded band (from a NY camera trade show) is in the first photo of this post but it's black and easily missed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silicone bracelet.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	248201
    `