I'm getting back into Large Format Photography. After 30+ years. I just ordered an Intrepid 4x5 MK4 and a few lenses, etc... It will be several weeks until I get my new camera. Can't wait to get out in the field with the new set up.

Anticipating having some difficulty focusing, I have been researching ground glass and fresnel lenses. Seems like a number of companies that made upgraded focusing screens are out of business. Only Bill Maxwell seems to be operating still. Spoke to him the other day. From what I hear from others he has always had the best product. It's a bit pricey for me right now. Was hoping for some updated information from members here.

Some people say to apply some wax to the screen and that can make focusing easier. Some folks are selling screens on eBay that claim to be, effectively, a ground glass and fresnel screen sandwiched together offering two stop increased brightness. I see where sometimes a Beattie Intenscreen shows up on eBay, but may or may not fit my new cam.

Right now I'm thinking I should wait till I get a hold of my camera and perhaps wax the screen or maybe add a fresnel screen or both.

Any advice?