Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Marin Country California

Richard M - Novice

Greetings from Marin Country California

Just wanted to say hello. I'm a LF novice planning a move up from MF and 35mm. I've started shooting film in the 70s as a teenager on rf cameras before migrating to SLRs in the 80s and 90s. Digital of course but been shooting film again with my modest collection of 35mm and 120 film cameras. Retiring in a couple of years and planning to shoot LF and get into alternative processes and media such as tintype.

Currently in research mode working out the basics like how the heck does all this LF stuff come together. Keen to learn. Never too old for that

Richard

Re: Greetings from Marin Country California

Welcome Richard,
    I'm in San Rafael and work in 4"x5" and 8"x10", I'd be happy to show you my work flow after the lockdown.
    Rory

Drew Wiley

You're in a wonderful area for large format. I'm on the other side of the Richmond Bridge, but have done many years of both 4x5 and 8x10 in Marin, both color and b&w. Stop by at Marty Knapp's tiny gallery at Pt Reyes Station sometime if you want to meet a real old-timer of Marin photography.

Les

Welcome to LF forum. Marin offers some v. cool vistas....do recall I was looking down (in 35mm film) and there were some nice vapor type clouds kind of patched over the trees. Anyway, there is lots of knowledge here, so don't be shy asking questions.

Les

Welcome from a little farther north in CA!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

There does not seem to be any shortage of large format users in the Bay Area, but there is always room for another one 8-)

We just moved from Richmond to Vallejo before all the current unpleasantness, so I can at least see the Bay side of Marin from my home office even if I am not supposed to go there!

Welcome to the forum from another Bay Area LFP. I’m across the bridge in the Sunset district of San Francisco. Definitely check out the home page here, lots of info there.

Roger

Richard M - Novice

Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    Welcome Richard,
    I'm in San Rafael and work in 4"x5" and 8"x10", I'd be happy to show you my work flow after the lockdown.
    Rory
    I hope to take you up on that. Not sure when that might be though... It's been a couple of months since the I ventured on the 101. Rumour has it - it's not blocked with traffic :-)

Richard M - Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You're in a wonderful area for large format. I'm on the other side of the Richmond Bridge, but have done many years of both 4x5 and 8x10 in Marin, both color and b&w. Stop by at Marty Knapp's tiny gallery at Pt Reyes Station sometime if you want to meet a real old-timer of Marin photography.
    We have some photos of his on our wall ! I think I met him once at the gallery. He noticed I had a Sony APS-C camera with one of my old LTM Leica (EL) lenses on it. We had a bit of a geek moment and chatted.

I have been meaning to reshoot that Inverness shipwreck in pano before some idiot completely destroys it. There is something to shoot everyday in that area.