Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Format Field Camera connected to modern flash

Re: Large Format Field Camera connected to modern flash

If you haven't bought one, you really need a flash meter. Guide numbers are only that. In order to take in the effect of ambient light, you need to meter the scene in its totality. It's difficult enough to put a flash on auto, modern or not, because anything that's backlit can be underexposed.
    Best,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    That option is well-known. It requires more flash power. Perhaps if the OP has a mule to carry the batteries or a nearby wall socket to plug into ...
    really? it's well known that speed graphics have x-sync on the fp shutter's "T" setting? because that's the option i'm referencing, not overpowering ambient light with flash. and if overpowering ambient light with flash is so well known, why did you respond to my first comment like ambient light can't be compensated for? and i know it requires more flash power, i literally just said it does in the comment you're quoting. the op mentions using a bowens or speed lights, neither of which require a mule.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    really? it's well known that speed graphics have x-sync on the fp shutter's "T" setting? because that's the option i'm referencing, not overpowering ambient light with flash. and if overpowering ambient light with flash is so well known, why did you respond to my first comment like ambient light can't be compensated for? and i know it requires more flash power, i literally just said it does in the comment you're quoting. the op mentions using a bowens or speed lights, neither of which require a mule.
    The OP wrote:
    I currently have a Graflex Speed Graphic which I love but the only problem is that I would like to use flash on location with it.
    At the moment, in the studio, if I want to use flash I set the shutter to 1 second and trigger the flash manually. On location this is more difficult so I am looking to buy a 4x5 which easily connects to a flash kit such as a Bowens or even a speed light.
    On location is the killer. In the studio, as has been point out already, ambient light can be eliminated by closing the blinds and turning the lights off. Out of the studio controlling exposure from ambient while using flash is more difficult. The usual way with electronic flash is to use a shutter speed high enough that the desired fraction of the light the film sees comes from the flash. When that high a shutter speed is not available, ND filters and a lot of flash power will do the job. Hence my comment about the mule.

However, the OP asked for advice about a
    4x5 which easily connects to a flash kit
    OP, if you haven't given up yet, your Speed Graphic will do the job. Don't use the focal plane shutter, mount a lens in shutter of the focal length you want use on your Graphic, set the lens' shutter to X sync (if that isn't the default, note that modern shutters offer only X) and use it to time the exposure to get the balance you want between flash and ambient.