Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Enlarger Chassis for Heiland LED Recs

8x10 Enlarger Chassis for Heiland LED Recs

Eventually I want to move up to an 8x10 capable enlarger, and my plan will be to get a Heiland LED unit. From my experience with the LPL you basically ditch the mixing box, any filtration units, obviously no condensers. It's just an LED panel that sits a few inches above your film holder, bellows, lens.

So i'm curious what would be a good platform for that set up? I was sort of thinking of a Zone IV upgraded unit if I can find one. But I'm open for recommendations!

I'm also poking at the idea of building a chassis but that's probably a pipe dream with my skills.

(Posted this on Photrio but thought I should ask here too).

Drew Wiley

Re: 8x10 Enlarger Chassis for Heiland LED Recs

The Durst L138 Chassis would be a far more solid and precise option, and can be adapted for 8x10 use, provided you are not making prints much larger than 20X24 inch. But you'd need a custom sizing adapter. Anyone with good shop skills could do it, or perhaps someone like Glennview already has something appropriate for this conversion.

If one was to make a horizontal enlarger then things might be simpler, though taking up much more floor-space of course.

One of the better enlargers out there is the DeVere. You can still find them fairly cheap and sometimes for free. I was fortunate enough to get an 8x10 free from a lab that was getting rid of all of their enlargers.

My Heiland 5x7 unit, which I typically use on my Zone 6 series 2 enlarger, works great on the DIY 8x10 horizontal rig (for 5x7 of course) I cobbled together awhile ago to originally use with my old, single tube 8x10 Aristo head. This horizontal enlarger is very simple and solid, relatively compact and easily stored, and is used atop a very sturdy work table. Will post pix soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wellman View Post
    One of the better enlargers out there is the DeVere. You can still find them fairly cheap and sometimes for free. I was fortunate enough to get an 8x10 free from a lab that was getting rid of all of their enlargers.
    Color me jealous. I saw a Durst 138 head on a 184 chassis for free recently, but it was rusty and abused.

I think a condenser head Durst 184 that's missing the condensers also might make a good LED conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by fj55mike View Post
    Color me jealous. I saw a Durst 138 head on a 184 chassis for free recently, but it was rusty and abused.

I think a condenser head Durst 184 that's missing the condensers also might make a good LED conversion.
    I've got one it's either a G-139 or an SM183. Mine's the 183, but it's not abutsed, and pretty much mint. Thought about getting the 8x10 LED adaptor for it, but don't really need 3 8x10 enlargers! L

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wellman View Post
    I keep waiting to come across a deal...last guy I ran into with an 8x10 enlarger was asking like $15k. I don't think he'll get it! But talking him down to anywhere approaching reasonable isn't going to happen either.

I gave one away last year and it didn't exactly fly off this list. It all depends largely on location and how far you're willing to drive for it. I drove a 2,000 mile round trip in 2015 for my DeVere 8x10.

L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 7-May-2020 at 19:17.

I have a Zone VI, later model after Calumet bought Zone VI. The negative carrier is glassless, straight out, pulls film flat. VC cold light with a Metrolux II integrating timer. It's lovely. I got this and another Zone VI for a couple hundred bucks from a place that wanted them Gone!

I would love to find a nice Devere, but the Zone VI fits my needs perfectly.