Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dealing with dust

Re: Dealing with dust

Assuming that the problem is dust spots that print black (I'm a bit confused as this point in the actual complaint), that happens when and only when dust is on the film when it is exposed. The problem is not in the processing.

The solution is to not let this happen. Changing bags or tents are troublesome in my experience. I load my film holders in a not particularly well environmentally-controlled darkroom. I had major problems with dust on the film until I got some canned air and (1) thoroughly blasted out every little nook and cranny, inside and out, in my film holders, and (2) most importantly, after I slipped the new sheet of film into the holder, opened the slide up all the way and gave the film one quick shot with the canned air, and then closed the slide. Result: No more dust spots for three years. It's amazing how much dust can get on a sheet of film moving from the box into the film holder, and it always seems to end up in the sky or in the still water.

This could probably done in a changing tent as well, but perhaps not as reliably. Perhaps you have access to a windowless half-bath or such that can be made light-tight for a couple of minutes, and do it on a countertop, as I did for years.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Hey Joe,

it's not so much a complaint as an observation.

I haven't printed anything yet. Looking at the negatives under a loupe on a light table reveals small white squiggly lines at random places on the negatives, looks a lot like dust to me. Quite small when viewing with the naked eye, but more obvious when enlarged. I agree that it appears as if something (dust) blocked the light from striking the emulsion at those places. Development seems much better than before, which is positive.

Yes, as everyone has pointed out, cleanliness is next to Godliness. Or at least will help minimize specks on my negatives.

Unfortunately (?) the consequences of architectural choices made among the beach communities of SoCal a few decades ago entail that there is not a single room in the house that doesn't have a window. So, no darkroom, which is why I've been using a changing bag (which, anecdotally, has performed flawlessly for 120 film loading onto reels and into developing tanks), but it is a bit restricted when working with 4x5. As much as I've been trying to avoid spending money to solve problems, this might be a problem that needs a little bit of money spent. Maybe a changing tent would make a significant difference. And anti-static bags.

I like your site by the way, really nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    Assuming that the problem is dust spots that print black (I'm a bit confused as this point in the actual complaint), that happens when and only when dust is on the film when it is exposed. The problem is not in the processing.

The solution is to not let this happen. Changing bags or tents are troublesome in my experience. I load my film holders in a not particularly well environmentally-controlled darkroom. I had major problems with dust on the film until I got some canned air and (1) thoroughly blasted out every little nook and cranny, inside and out, in my film holders, and (2) most importantly, after I slipped the new sheet of film into the holder, opened the slide up all the way and gave the film one quick shot with the canned air, and then closed the slide. Result: No more dust spots for three years. It's amazing how much dust can get on a sheet of film moving from the box into the film holder, and it always seems to end up in the sky or in the still water.

This could probably done in a changing tent as well, but perhaps not as reliably. Perhaps you have access to a windowless half-bath or such that can be made light-tight for a couple of minutes, and do it on a countertop, as I did for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have a Harrison medium size film changing tent. Is this the one that has the material that attaacts dust? How do you all clean the inside of tents?
    No, I use changing bags, no tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have a Harrison medium size film changing tent. Is this the one that has the material that attaacts dust? How do you all clean the inside of tents?
    I use shop vac with drywall dust collection bag, and a brush attachment... A wipe down with a clean, damp microfiber cloth before loading should help...

Steve K

Thanks Jose and Steve. I have a central vac in my house which should be good because the collection filter bag, electric motor, and canister is in another room (actually the garage). So it won't be creating dust like a regular vacuum cleaner.

Another pretty easy layer of dust protection to add onto everything already said: I bought a whole bunch of anti-static bags from an electronics store that was going out of business. They’re the kind that new computer boards, video cards, etc. are packed in from the factory. I keep my film holders in those bags. I can get several 4x5 per bag or a couple 8x10 and there’s enough excess bag to make a big fold over and tape shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris