Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Interested in 4 x 5

Re: Interested in 4 x 5

Quote Originally Posted by cablerelease View Post
    Lastly, the other project I want to work on I'd like to shoot 6x17. In an ideal world whatever lens I get would also work with one of those graflok roll film backs. Is there a 180 or 210 that will work? I don't think I'll have the money to get one of these backs right away so if it requires a different lens then I might just build that into the cost of getting setup in the future.
    Ah! Something I can speak about without sounding like a gibbering fool. Seeing some spectacular 6x17 panoramas was the gateway drug that convinced me to go large format. Seeing the price on the Shen Hao 6x17 field cameras left me a bit speechless, so I looked in other directions, especially when I realized they can only do 120 film.

The short version is that in order to get the full 170mm spread, the Da Yi / Shen Hao film holders have to be set back from the usual focal plane (which is why they have their own ground glass holders, and are so much more expensive). As a result, 210mm lenses kind of work, but get cropped slightly on the ends. Anything between 90 and 200 is supposed to work-- I haven't been able to test this yet, apparently there's some kind of global crisis that's hammering international shipping.

Tony Santo has an in-depth video on the Da Yi back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScJzoWlMaQ (jump to 3:20 if impatient)

The backs run $600-800 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    Ah! Something I can speak about without sounding like a gibbering fool. Seeing some spectacular 6x17 panoramas was the gateway drug that convinced me to go large format. Seeing the price on the Shen Hao 6x17 field cameras left me a bit speechless, so I looked in other directions, especially when I realized they can only do 120 film.

The short version is that in order to get the full 170mm spread, the Da Yi / Shen Hao film holders have to be set back from the usual focal plane (which is why they have their own ground glass holders, and are so much more expensive). As a result, 210mm lenses kind of work, but get cropped slightly on the ends. Anything between 90 and 200 is supposed to work-- I haven't been able to test this yet, apparently there's some kind of global crisis that's hammering international shipping.

Tony Santo has an in-depth video on the Da Yi back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScJzoWlMaQ (jump to 3:20 if impatient)

The backs run $600-800 USD.
    The widest lens that covered full 617 on the Linhof Technorama was the 72mm SA XL. Unless those cameras can’t handle the 72 it should also work on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The widest lens that covered full 617 on the Linhof Technorama was the 72mm SA XL. Unless those cameras can’t handle the 72 it should also work on them.
    Apparently, and again, this is second-hand knowledge, anything less than a 90mm will probably require a recessed lens board to achieve focus. The other common theme I encountered researching this is that 90mm is such a wide angle already, most people prefer to use something a bit longer anyway.

The other common theme I encountered researching this is that 90mm is such a wide angle already, most people prefer to use something a bit longer anyway.
    Depends on use and taste I suppose. While the 105mm on my Fuji G617 is "a bit" longer than 90mm I don't find it too wide. But then I love wide angles.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Depends on use and taste I suppose. While the 105mm on my Fuji G617 is "a bit" longer than 90mm I don't find it too wide. But then I love wide angles.
    With the 6x17 back, the width of the captured image goes from 5" (127mm) to 6.6" (170mm), so there's going to be a corresponding increase in the field-of-view. It's closer to putting the lens on a 5x7. It's early, and I'm light on caffeine, but I think it gives the effective field-of-view of a 72mm lens.

The other common theme I encountered researching this is that 90mm is such a wide angle already, most people prefer to use something a bit longer anyway.
    Back when I shot a 35mm Contax one of my favorite lenses was my 25mm Zeiss. When I started with 4x5 I heard that you should take your favorite 35mm lenses and multiply them by 3 to get an approximation for 4x5. I then bought a 75mm lens but ultimately felt it was too wide so I sold it and bought a 90mm. The 90mm (to me) felt like my old 25mm Zeiss did.

We had a discussion about this on the forum a few years ago. Some people felt like I did and some didn't. You really have to see for yourself. Fortunately, if you do buy a focal length that you end up not liking then you can get most of your money back if you sell it. I just look at any money lost as a cheap rental fee.

I attended a Zoom meeting yesterday explaining film development at home. I'm sure it would have been better in person, but Zoom is pretty good and very interactive.

I just need to pick up the supplies and give it a try.

My wife caught on to my 4x5 plans yesterday. I thought she might be a naysayer, but it's a "go" once we're out of the stay at home order.

Quote Originally Posted by thebbqguy View Post
    I attended a Zoom meeting yesterday explaining film development at home. I'm sure it would have been better in person, but Zoom is pretty good and very interactive.

I just need to pick up the supplies and give it a try.

My wife caught on to my 4x5 plans yesterday. I thought she might be a naysayer, but it's a "go" once we're out of the stay at home order.
    This is why there is mail order and e-tailers, friend!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    This is why there is mail order and e-tailers, friend!
    Or he could make a camera out of a turkey and his wife then beg him to buy a Deardorff instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Or he could make a camera out of a turkey and his wife then beg him to buy a Deardorff instead!
    You know my wife pretty well. LOL. She hates it when I buy something that needs to be replaced a short time later. She much prefers spending once vs. spending twice. I see it happen all the time in fishing. New guys go with budget stuff and it breaks, so they buy new stuff they should have bought the first time.
    Last edited by thebbqguy; 26-Apr-2020 at 12:52.