Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Interested in 4 x 5

Re: Interested in 4 x 5

Going back to the very first post. I'm sure you can get started for $750, but it's equally worth considering the cost of consumables in the entire project when 100 sheets of Tmax costs $300...or FP4 $200....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Going back to the very first post. I'm sure you can get started for $750, but it's equally worth considering the cost of consumables in the entire project when 100 sheets of Tmax costs $300...or FP4 $200....
    I know. I continue to pick out hobbies that cost lots of money.

I have found 100 sheets of FP4 for $180 and free shipping today.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Once you have to futz with taking it off the rail, it's a different game. OK, once I have to futz with taking it off the rail... YMMV.
    Your mileage may vary. So true.

Setting up quickly when the light is changing can be really important. I'm not quick anymore anyway so I don't worry about it. I just take my time and enjoy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Setting up quickly when the light is changing can be really important. I'm not quick anymore anyway so I don't worry about it. I just take my time and enjoy myself.
    Typical conversation when I check in at the local Audubon sanctuary:

Audubon staff person: "What a cool camera! Are you going to be taking pictures of birds?"

Me: "Uh, no, I'm way too slow for that. Just things that are willing to sit still for a while, like rocks and trees."

I have a Linhof Technika V and an Intrepid 4x5 4th gerneration.
    To my surprise, I find Intrepid is very good, if considering its price range.
    PRO
    Very light, ideal for trekking or long urban explorations. Very easy to put in place, very simple to operate, good movement range and good compatibility with lens boards. Very good lightproof.

CONS
    Some minor cosmetics details could be imoproved (for what that matters... I find the Linhof pretty ugly and bulky, too).
    It is light weight, so it requires a sturdy and heavy tripod in particularly windy situations.
    The back standard has only tilt but not swing movement.
    Last but not least: it ships in 8 weeks delivery time.

Overall, thumbs up for Intrepid.

I'm in a similar boat. The last time I shot LF was in college and I'm realizing, as a professional photographer, I need to do something to mix up my work and get some creative inspiration going. Diving back into 4x5 and just joined this forum!

I'm going to rule out monorails. I need a field camera for portability. I *think* I can rule out press cameras as I do want to have a basic selection of movements. Or am I missing any foldable press cameras that have movements? I don't need any obscene amounts of movement as I will mostly shooting landscape and portraits.

The Intrepid really does look enticing for the price point and weight. However, they have a 6-8 week lead time on delivery and I'm itching to get one of two projects up and running the first week of June so I'd like to play it safer and find something on eBay, or elsewhere. I don't think I can see the classfied section here yet as I've just joined the forum.

I know I will start with just one lens. I need something that is roughly comparable to a 50mm in 35mm format. I'm thinking a 210 should suit me or perhaps a 180? Curious what people's thoughts are there? When I shoot vertically I always crop my 35mm format images to 4x5 ratio so that's why I'm thinking a 210 migt be most compfortable for what I'm aiming to do.

Lastly, the other project I want to work on I'd like to shoot 6x17. In an ideal world whatever lens I get would also work with one of those graflok roll film backs. Is there a 180 or 210 that will work? I don't think I'll have the money to get one of these backs right away so if it requires a different lens then I might just build that into the cost of getting setup in the future.

I had the same time constrain when I ordered Intrepid, back in Feburary. I waited 7 weeks, but I must say the customer service is good and sends regular updates about the production status.
    For the lens: that´s really a pesonal choice. My normal is a 150mm (roughly: focal lenght/3 gives you the 35mm equivalent, which in my case is a 50mm). To me, that f-lenght is kind of wysiwyg. But again, it´s a a personal choice related to the kind of photo you want to achieve. If I had to choose again, I would consider a 180mm.

For the back: Intrepid can mount any graflok-type back (Horseman brand). I got a 6x9 and a 6x7. I know there is a 6x12 from the same company. Pretty expensive. Actually, given the price of roll film and the graflok back, you might consider just using film sheets and crop.
    Moreover: in my experience, when I use a film roll back, I feel more comfortable applying a black crop mask on the ground glass. It helps me to frame and compose.

David Schaller

A 150 is generally the same as a 50mm on small format. A 210 is good to start with, for portraits and some landscapes. You will probably want something wider, so you might end up not even getting a “normal” focal length. I was walking around today with a 90, 135, and 210, for landscape, and used the 135 and 210.

I'm with David on that.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I’d look at a Sinar F2. Dirt cheap at auctions these days. I have 3. Two bought here recently for under 4 bills each. Great field and a “real” camera. You can use holders or any graflok-type back. Although it is a monorail, it was designed to be a field camera. I used my first one for architectural work for years, so it's very fieldable. Hauled it all over the place. It was designed to be part of the Sinar system, not be the lightest, cheapest camera that could be built. I paid around $1400 for my first one I bought years ago. Handled lenses from the 47 SA to the 90 SAXL with ease and as long a lens as you had bellows.