Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in 4 x 5

Re: Interested in 4 x 5

The field-vs-monorail generalization is an oversimplification. There are field cameras that are big and klunky for their formats, and there are monorails that have been optimized for field use.

Usually when a beginner asks about monorails, he or she is asking about the sort of garden variety commercial studio camera that is selling very cheap these days. Most of those are relatively clumsy for transporting in the field, but as Kumar has pointed out with his Toyo example, with careful selection and configuration that can be mitigated to some extent. Ultimately it depends on one's tolerance for weight and preferences re handling.

I'm not sure if Omega sold any of the G models. As I recall, the budget models were branded Omega, and there may have been co-branded models - Omega Toyo.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I'm not sure if Omega sold any of the G models. As I recall, the budget models were branded Omega, and there may have been co-branded models - Omega Toyo.

Kumar
    The G was soLd in the U.S. no idea how many though. Sold under the Toyo name.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    I'd say there's one exception to that statement, in the Arca Swiss cameras (All Round CAmera made in Switerland, now in France) that were specifically designed to bridge the gap between field and monorail cameras. Very light, portable, yet still sturdy and precise.

That said, I would not recommend one to the OP, as they are very expensive and not as common (e.g. parts availability) as many of the more common brands in the USA, and probably not what you want to start out on.
    Again, look at the TK for exception to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The G was soLd in the U.S. no idea how many though. Sold under the Toyo name.
    That's what I said - I'm not sure if Omega sold any of the G models. Toyo sells through MAC group in the US now.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    That's what I said - I'm not sure if Omega sold any of the G models. Toyo sells through MAC group in the US now.

Kumar
    Toyo Omega was sold by Berkey Photo Marketing who owned Omega until BMC was liquidated. This was before MAC Group came into being. The principles of BMC,
    Henry Froelich and Paul Klinginstein, along with Jan Lederman, started MAC Group, Jan was Paul’s son in law. He still is the principal of MAC Group.

Arca Swiss is not the only monorail designed with the intent to bridge the folder-field -vs- common monorail camera.
    BTW, been and done the Arca Swiss folder monorail, still have an Arca Swiss 69 as it is unique in what it can do and offer. Once up to 4x5 and larger there are other alternatives that are IMO better.

Others compact easy to transport monorails:

Toyo VX, Linhof Technikardan, Toho FC-45 and others.. Personal fave is Sinar Norma for a long list of reasons.

Point being again, no single camera is ideal for all.

I'm of the opinion that due to the shift on folks using view cameras going from what was once indoor studio produced color transparencies in 4x5 for commercial color work that was the main and primary market for 4x5 view cameras to hobby-artist oriented outdoor "Group f64" orthodoxy folks the field camera or folder has become symbolic definition of Large Format view camera stuff.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    I'd say there's one exception to that statement, in the Arca Swiss cameras (All Round CAmera made in Switerland, now in France) that were specifically designed to bridge the gap between field and monorail cameras. Very light, portable, yet still sturdy and precise.

That said, I would not recommend one to the OP, as they are very expensive and not as common (e.g. parts availability) as many of the more common brands in the USA, and probably not what you want to start out on.

The Horseman L45 monorail is awesome and comes apart easily to be packed for bringing it out into the world. I started with LF in 2016 with a Horseman L45, then bought a Chamonix 045-N1 new to replace it. I sold the Horseman, then found I missed it for its sturdy construction and ample movements. A few days ago I bought a mint condition L45 again to replace the one I sold and have been missing. It was less than $210 shipped from Japan by EMS.

Horseman L series is one of the most under rated monorail cameras on the market today. They are an absolute bargain for what they offer in features, camera stability, ease of use, precision of geared camera movements. LX, LXC and LM were their answer to the Sinar P. Items like lens boards, bellows and various other add ons are mostly interchangeable with Sinar.

And Oh how many remember this pix of AA on the front cover of Time magazine with a ...... Horseman L series monorail, which was what AA often used outdoors during his Foto classes during that era, not a folder or field camera.. why?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA & Horseman L.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	202853

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    The Horseman L45 monorail is awesome and comes apart easily to be packed for bringing it out into the world. I started with LF in 2016 with a Horseman L45, then bought a Chamonix 045-N1 new to replace it. I sold the Horseman, then found I missed it for its sturdy construction and ample movements. A few days ago I bought a mint condition L45 again to replace the one I sold and have been missing. It was less than $210 shipped from Japan by EMS.

I prefer to buy a package deal with camera and all accessories together, but I'm finding cameras listed with no lenses.

How can I be sure lenses will match up with the individual camera if buying separately?