Thread: Case for 8x10 Cambo Legend

Case for 8x10 Cambo Legend

I looked around and only saw one previous post on this before, from I believe 2007 and with no replies, so I figured it was worth another shot.

I just purchased a Cambo Legend 8x10 camera, and am looking for a case to store it in. Ideally it would fit the camera (assembled or disassembled are both fine), along with a 4x5 reduction back, and bag bellows. Room for a Fujinon 360 6.3 and Rodenstock Sironar N 210 5.6 and rails would be a bonus. Not looking to break the bank, but doesn't have to be dirt cheap either. I want something that will last a while.

I was looking at an f64 backpack and reviews say that it will fit 8x10 cameras with a few backs and lenses, but I do not know anyone that has ever used one. Otherwise I have had no luck finding anything that seems reasonable, and certainly nothing like the F64 car case I have for my 4x5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Foamer

Re: Case for 8x10 Cambo Legend

You might start looking at boxes designed to store tools--tool boxes.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I have the f64 large pack. It's really intended for relatively compact, folding field cameras up to 8x10; the main (largest) compartment has internal dimensions of roughly 13 x 14 x 6.5.

I also have an old LowePro pack whose model number escapes me at the moment but which has a much larger main compartment. I've used it to lug a 7x17 camera with a couple of holders, darkcloth and a lens. If they have anything current in the same ballpark that would be a much better bet than the f64.

EDIT: If you're looking for a case just for storage or occasional transportation in a vehicle, rather than for hiking in the field, the big Lightware view camera cases (V4000, V4300) are very nice, though checking B&H I see that unfortunately they're now special order and have become quite pricey.

I have a large Explorer case for my Cambo Legend 4x5, but it might hold an 8x10. (I think it is about 18x20x14--I'd have to go out to the studio and measure it). Hard resin or plastic like a Pelican case, with foam that is precut into 1" cubes so you can configure it to hold your equipment securely. Has handles, wheels, etc. Really sturdy, not for hiking, but great to throw in a van or SUV. And you could stand on it if needed. I lucked out and found it on *Bay, I think I payed more for shipping than for the case itself.

I store mine in a good-sized blue travel trunk, with heavy-duty casters. See the link below.

https://www.rhinotrunkandcase.com/pr...-armor-trunks/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan O'Farrell View Post
    I store mine in a good-sized blue travel trunk, with heavy-duty casters. See the link below.

https://www.rhinotrunkandcase.com/pr...-armor-trunks/
    That doesn't look like a bad option. What size trunk do you use and what do you use to divide up the interior?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I have the f64 large pack. It's really intended for relatively compact, folding field cameras up to 8x10; the main (largest) compartment has internal dimensions of roughly 13 x 14 x 6.5.

I also have an old LowePro pack whose model number escapes me at the moment but which has a much larger main compartment. I've used it to lug a 7x17 camera with a couple of holders, darkcloth and a lens. If they have anything current in the same ballpark that would be a much better bet than the f64.

EDIT: If you're looking for a case just for storage or occasional transportation in a vehicle, rather than for hiking in the field, the big Lightware view camera cases (V4000, V4300) are very nice, though checking B&H I see that unfortunately they're now special order and have become quite pricey.
    I am looking primarily for storage and vehicle transport. I don't often hike, and have never done so with any of my LF cameras, and even if I did finding one that would accommodate the Legend would likely be very difficult. I looked at the lightwave cases already. and unfortunately even the largest one they make does not quite fit the legend.

Haven't had a ton of luck, so I think I have decided to just build my own. Ive been working on some sketches that will incorporate fixed dividers in the middle to support the camera and extra rail, with movable dividers on either side to store the additional back, bellows, and holders one one side and lenses as well as a removable shelf above the lenses (for dark cloth, meter, loupe, etc) on the other. Originally I was going to have a friend of mine do it, but once I started sketching it out I realize that it probably won't be TOO much more complicated to build than the dark box I made for my wet plate work, will probably be cheaper than even most of the cheapest cases I could find online, and made exactly to fit my needs.