Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The beginnings of the COVID darkroom.

Re: The beginnings of the COVID darkroom.

Meet, nice little darkroom. Beautiful sink.

I found a sink for sale that is new and half price, but it is in NYC.
    May have to venture in to get it.

I am planning to use a bathroom fan with a light over the sink for ventilation, and a darkroom vent near the floor for fresh air.

Plumbing is all there, just need to hook up flexible extensions to the water lines and a drain extension. The drain line is pretty high, so I will have a sink for the near sited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

My basement darkroom is a converted bathroom, and it’s about 5-feet by 7-feet. It’s a barebones setup. I have a Doran exhaust fan, but it’s so noisy that it drives me batty. Sounds like a jet engine. I can’t listen to music. Does anyone make a quiet exhaust fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    Meet, nice little darkroom. Beautiful sink.

I found a sink for sale that is new and half price, but it is in NYC.
    May have to venture in to get it.

I am planning to use a bathroom fan with a light over the sink for ventilation, and a darkroom vent near the floor for fresh air.

Plumbing is all there, just need to hook up flexible extensions to the water lines and a drain extension. The drain line is pretty high, so I will have a sink for the near sited!

I noticed that the sewer is pretty high. This may be a situation where you should get a real master plumber to give some advice. You can use a sump and a pump. You need to vent the drain as well.
    Obviously GFCI circuit for electric. I have a relatively large darkroom but it's setup in a couple of "cells" so I'm not moving around much. 99% of what I print is 11x14 or smaller. You can use a single tray to process the occasional big print.

I have had a darkroom since I was 9 years old in a large variety of locations. 1st was behind a coal burning furnace in a dirt basement. along the way was one in an attic w/o water or sewer access. The one just prior to my current one was 3x5 ft with a 4x5 beseler, 5x7 Aristo, an automatic washer which I built, and a tray stacker. My current one is 10x10, A/C, water, sewer, 2 enlargers, 2 UV sources. In other words it is capable of most anything.
    I have done the plumbing and wiring for each of these always to code.

Wiring in and tested. I will have to finish with the fan when the cabinets go in.

Despite advice I am doing the plumbing last. The darkroom sink is replacing a bar sink that I removed. I do need to move the location, but great luck! All I need to do is reverse the pipes and the sink hook ups will in the right location! Desolder 1 1/2” copper pipe will be two person job.

Here is the run and hookups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    My basement darkroom is a converted bathroom, and it’s about 5-feet by 7-feet. It’s a barebones setup. I have a Doran exhaust fan, but it’s so noisy that it drives me batty. Sounds like a jet engine. I can’t listen to music. Does anyone make a quiet exhaust fan?
    Check out the Panasonic Whisperfit.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Do you have to vent the plumbing piping?

The original sink as well as the washer and dryer drains both run directly to a main drain which is vented to the roof. The original bar sink is just being moved 4 feet closer to the main drain/vent using all the same fixtures.

The original bar had lights under it, and a sink so by taking it out all the stuff was already there, and just needed to be moved to an appropriate location.

That's a fine looking print washer in the first photo! Perfect for washing those Dalmeyer lens images.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Use it in good health!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White