Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

2 14.29%
  • no

5 35.71%
  • maybe

7 50.00%

Thread: Gauging interest in scanning service based on DT Cultural Heritage Phase One system

Gauging interest in scanning service based on DT Cultural Heritage Phase One system

Hello all,
    I'm looking into a business idea of getting this system and wanted to know who would be interested in getting their film scanned with this system.
    I'm not interested in debating superiority or advantages of scanners.
    To my knowledge, this looks like the most advanced system to date, and is there a market for photographers who want their film scanned at high resolution?

I've seen other offers for high quality scanning services that charge an arm and a leg for 1 photo.
    I'd go with a pricing options that would be afforable to most everyone.
    in the neighborhood of $5 -10 per negative.

Thanks for your feedback.
    sincerely.
    Ken

below is the links to the equipment.
    https://dtculturalheritage.com/dt-ix...-by-phase-one/

https://dtculturalheritage.com/film-scanning-kit/

this is a webinar discussion on the technology advancement in scanning.
    https://dtculturalheritage.com/cultu...film-scanning/

Re: Gauging interest in scanning service based on DT Cultural Heritage Phase One syst

Those links seem to indicate the hardware is an optical 'instant capture' system rather than a scanner.

Re: Gauging interest in scanning service based on DT Cultural Heritage Phase One syst

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Those links seem to indicate the hardware is an optical 'instant capture' system rather than a scanner.
    The DT system is indeed built around a medium format digital camera.

Does anybody offer scans, then Digi Prints and lastly Digi Negs for alt printing by shooter later?

Just thinking out loud, as usual

My question is rhetorical for OP to think about...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The DT system is indeed built around a medium format digital camera.
    That is clever. In that case one could do the 'scan' of the original scene and do away with the film.

This is a phase one camera on a dedicated copy board , I too have interest in this system for my client base.
    It is a lot of money for a device to only scan originals,, but it can do any form of copy work including books if you purchase the right setup, it also can be useful as a regular shooting camera... something I do not want to do , so its much pricer option to get in the game than the scanners
    I already own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Does anybody offer scans, then Digi Prints and lastly Digi Negs for alt printing by shooter later?

Just thinking out loud, as usual

My question is rhetorical for OP to think about...
    Didn’t notice this thread until now. I am interested in exactly the kind of service that Tin Can has mentioned.

It seems to me that there would be a demand for such a service; not everyone either wants to, or is in a position to buy the equipment and set aside a dedicated space for it; not to mention the learning curve for a novice. It seems to me that the real nitty gritty comes when you need to optimize your file for the required specs. for printing Pt/Pd or some other process.

Your anticipated pricing per scan is certainly reasonable compared to any drum scanning service, but I'd have to see some results before I committed to the process.