Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Tripod Question!

4x5 Tripod Question!

Hi all,

I recently was gifted a 4x5 camera with various accessories. I'm trying to piece together the tripod properly and had a couple questions.

I am not familiar with the large plate on top of this tripod - what is it's purpose? Is the rail clamp meant to screw in/attach to the middle of the plate? I'm unsure whether this will be most safe/secure. The thread is also loose/not catching so It appears that I may need a new head.

Should I be getting something like this instead? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wAAAA...AFq/s-l300.jpg

Thank you in advance!
    Samantha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200411_151945.jpg   20200411_153801.jpg   20200411_153752.jpg  

Re: 4x5 Tripod Question!

Hello Samantha,

the plate on top is meant to give cameras with a flat bottom a large support platform. I've personally never used a Majestic head myself, but from what I gather they are very heavy duty and of high quality, so it'll handle your camera just fine.
    As for the thread not catching; check if the thread inside the rail clamp and the screw that protrudes through te top plate aren't damaged. It might be a matter of a simple repair/replacement, instead of having to buy a whole new head.

Good luck!

Drew Wiley

One does not need replace an expensive head due to a very simple thread issue that might cost less than two dollars to fix. But which piece is affected needs to be determined first. Just take an ordinary hardware store 3/8-16 bolt and nut to test the threads.

Photographer

That Majestic head is overkill for a 4x5 and will be a lot to carry around. You should be able to remove the head and attach the camera to the top of the tripod—no head. Give it a try.
    Keith Pitman

The Majestic single leg tripod + head do not weigh too much and are sturdy (but maybe staying closer to the car)... A good value, and aces it when doing still lifes... Maybe a little bulky when head is on it, but head is strong and light...

Head screw should be a minor issue if old one has not been tampered with, and I think is still carried by Bencher in Chicago area...

Steve K

A single leg is not a tripod - it is a MONOPOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    A single leg is not a tripod - it is a MONOPOD.
    Rather than the two strut leg type, you know...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by samanthab View Post
    Hi all,

I recently was gifted a 4x5 camera with various accessories. I'm trying to piece together the tripod properly and had a couple questions.

I am not familiar with the large plate on top of this tripod - what is it's purpose? Is the rail clamp meant to screw in/attach to the middle of the plate? I'm unsure whether this will be most safe/secure. The thread is also loose/not catching so It appears that I may need a new head.

Should I be getting something like this instead? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wAAAA...AFq/s-l300.jpg

Thank you in advance!
    Samantha
    When you say the screw is loose/not catching, could it be that the screw is simply the wrong size, or do you think it is the right size but damaged (screw or thread in the rail clamp)? It's just that there are two thread sizes in common use with cameras and tripods. The Cambo camera has the larger of the two (3/8"), but the most common size on tripods is the smaller one (1/4"). If this is the case with your tripod, you can get a little adapter that screws into the camera's tripod thread to convert between the two.

However, maybe it's not this - maybe the threads are damaged, in which case you should try to see whether it's the camera or the tripod and replace that part.

I have one of these cameras (or a similar version). It's a great camera, through not the easiest to carry anywhere. I have always wondered why they made the rail clamp base so small through! It looks a bit lost on your tripod head with its huge platform. Nothing functionally wrong with that, but as others have said, it's overkill for that camera. You might want to get something lighter if you plan to take it out. Indoors however, it should be great as long as you can attach the camera securely.

Thanks everyone for the great tips! Will definitely try to just replace the screw for now - hopefully that will work. While the tripod does seem a little overkill, it will definitely do the trick capturing things from home during isolation. Thanks again, all!

Quote Originally Posted by jonby View Post
    When you say the screw is loose/not catching, could it be that the screw is simply the wrong size, or do you think it is the right size but damaged (screw or thread in the rail clamp)? It's just that there are two thread sizes in common use with cameras and tripods. The Cambo camera has the larger of the two (3/8"), but the most common size on tripods is the smaller one (1/4"). If this is the case with your tripod, you can get a little adapter that screws into the camera's tripod thread to convert between the two.

However, maybe it's not this - maybe the threads are damaged, in which case you should try to see whether it's the camera or the tripod and replace that part.

I have one of these cameras (or a similar version). It's a great camera, through not the easiest to carry anywhere. I have always wondered why they made the rail clamp base so small through! It looks a bit lost on your tripod head with its huge platform. Nothing functionally wrong with that, but as others have said, it's overkill for that camera. You might want to get something lighter if you plan to take it out. Indoors however, it should be great as long as you can attach the camera securely.

Quote Originally Posted by samanthab View Post
    Thanks everyone for the great tips! Will definitely try to just replace the screw for now - hopefully that will work. While the tripod does seem a little overkill, it will definitely do the trick capturing things from home during isolation. Thanks again, all!
    If you do end up getting another head or head and tripod then look at eBay and this forum. Tripods are a lot cheaper used over new.

By the way, I like your name. My wife and I named our daughter Samantha.