Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lateral arm for gitzo tripod?

lateral arm for gitzo tripod?

I have a series 3 carbon fiber tripod...

About to take on a large copy work job and think I need one of those lateral arms to move the camera out far enough horizontally so that the legs are out of the way when I am shooting with the camera pointed straight down....

1. Did they ever make a carbon fiber version of the lateral arm for this tripod? (GT3530S)
    (i can see a few aluminum ones for sale on ebay but no CF anywhere)

2. it looks like gitzo also made a (very expensive) right angle bracket, which in theory one could just use in conjunction with a second CF center column (also $$$)

3. Does anyone have experience rigging up a temporary sort of copy stand like this and could offer any tips? My idea I guess is to get the used aluminum arm and a tiny ballhead, set up some strobes with softboxes for lighting, throw a few sandbags on my legs and just run and gun....

Re: lateral arm for gitzo tripod?

Consider a Polaroid MP-4 stand and the 4 lamps that came with it. State Surplus stores seemed to always have had some of them around going for very little money. Polaroid did make a horizontal insert with 1/4" tripod screw to replace the MP-4's camera system. I have and have used a 90 degree bracket which extended the center column horizontally on a Linhof Heavy Duty tripod. Once used it to hold a Sinar Norma vertically over some rare documents that was commissioned to copy. Had to use 2 commercially available bags of sand (the ones that one carries in the back of a pickup in the wintertime here in New England) to precariously counterweight the camera. After that shoot, acquired a Linhof copy stand and never looked back.

Big Negs Rock!

You can use aluminum pipe with Speed Rail fittings and make almost anything. This is extensively used in the motion picture industry.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Do it right a buy a Kaiser copy stand. Alignment is critical and trying to jury rig a tripod won’t work if you have a critical customer. You can not maintain alignment while changing heights for different sizes with a tripod and outrigger. Then get proper lights and, if required, polarizers for the lights

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Do it right a buy a Kaiser copy stand. Alignment is critical and trying to jury rig a tripod won’t work if you have a critical customer. You can not maintain alignment while changing heights for different sizes with a tripod and outrigger. Then get proper lights and, if required, polarizers for the lights
    I know this would be the proper way to go....but pretty sure this is a one-time job...though it is hundreds of pieces varying in size from 20 inches to 36 inches on long side...so think the larger pieces are too big for traditional size copy stand...but I was thinking to borrow one for all the smaller stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    You can use aluminum pipe with Speed Rail fittings and make almost anything. This is extensively used in the motion picture industry.
    Cool - Thanks, sounds like an economical way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Consider a Polaroid MP-4 stand and the 4 lamps that came with it. State Surplus stores seemed to always have had some of them around going for very little money. Polaroid did make a horizontal insert with 1/4" tripod screw to replace the MP-4's camera system. I have and have used a 90 degree bracket which extended the center column horizontally on a Linhof Heavy Duty tripod. Once used it to hold a Sinar Norma vertically over some rare documents that was commissioned to copy. Had to use 2 commercially available bags of sand (the ones that one carries in the back of a pickup in the wintertime here in New England) to precariously counterweight the camera. After that shoot, acquired a Linhof copy stand and never looked back.
    Thanks for the tip...yeah I'll just be using a little sony mirrorless camera for this...but trying to balance doing it right vs getting it done and still coming out with a profit....

This is the best one I've found. Gitzo's own sidearms suck and are way overpriced. This version of the Manfrotto comes with two clamps on the crossbar and you can attach a head to either end. There are less expensive versions without the clamps but they are really great to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-131...6635207&sr=8-2

I shoot copy work all the time and while I typically use a 12 foot Cambo stand with a three foot adjustable sidearm built in. Alignment is never really an issue especially if you shoot straight down. Get the Clinometer app for your phone and use that to first measure X and Y axis of your art work, then match the same for the camera.

I use a Manfrotto arm on my Gitzo 3 all the time--not for copying, but for high angles in the studio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x5_on _arm.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	202498

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Isn't the OP in LA??? Get this stuff from Industrial Metal Supply on San Fernando Rd, Sun Valley... They have lotsa this stuff...

But borrow a copy stand if you could (it will make life easier)...

Steve K