Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dektol

Dektol

Hello - I have just received several packages of Dektol powder from my supplier in the UK, brand new with expiry date Nov 2022. In the past the powder was white-ish, now it is a dirty brown colour and mixes up with a frothy scum on the surface, after more than normal stiring the powder / sand dissolved ok.

Can anyone shed any light on this new colour scheme - I will try it tomorrow but just a little alarmed...

Thanks
    Peter

Re: Dektol

I don't use Dektol, but I've read of this change on other forums. I think the consensus is that it's simply a change of supplier and the product is OK and works, as expected.

I have heard there was a recall of some kind. Out of stock all over the US. Freestyle Photo thinks they are getting more in June.

Brown sounds like oxidation to me. Maybe from inadequate packaging, storage, etc. Some oxidation may be alright; i.e., the product may still work well, but may not have quite the tray life time-wise. Do try what you've mixed, keeping an eye on how long it lasts compared to your previous experience. If the lifespan is noticeably shorter than expected, then you may want to send the unopened packages back for a refund/replacement.

FWIW, D-72 is really easy to mix yourself. If you ever want to make the initial investment in the raw chemicals, you'll likely never go back. You just need sodium sulfite, Metol, hydroquinone, sodium carbonate and potassium bromide. I mix mine (and ID-62, which I prefer) with a spoon recipe. EZPZ

Best,

Doremus

I agree with Doremus. That said, the discoloration is likely oxidized Metol. It will work, but not last as long.

John Olsen

I posted on this last month too. Several people felt that it meant that the packaging was leaking air and might be aging the powder. I went ahead and used it, having no choice, and the prints were exactly as expected on a known negative. Now the only question is whether the stock will have a shortened shelf life. For that I'll have to wait a few months.

Drew Wiley

I haven't used Dektol in the past 30 yrs, but it's easy to make any number of MQ substitutes. Metol is fine if it's tan; I wouldn't trust dark brown.

The writing is on the wall...time to embrace a classic O'haus triple-beam!

Update: KODAK PROFESSIONAL DEKTOL Developer / Packet to make 1 gal (CAT# 516 0270)

Recent batches of DEKTOL with date codes of August 2019 or later have been coming out darker than normal when mixed.
    This is due to a non-photo active impurity. This has no impact on product performance.
    We are working with our manufacturer to quickly bring the color back to its normal neutral appearance.

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/phot...chem-tech-info

Thanks all, and HMG for the link to Kodak info site