Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beseler 45 V-XL vignetting; what's going on?

Beseler 45 V-XL vignetting; what's going on?

Last summer I moved up from a Besler 45MX to 45XL. The enlarger had all of the manuals and one owner. I thought it would be the closet I would come to having a new enlarger. Unfortunately I haven't had much time since then to use it. Now thanks to social isolation I ventured in today to do some printing. Much to my surprise I was getting some vignetting. I started to take things apart to see what was going on. What I found amazed me. Either this was put together wrong or there is some bizarre engineering going on here.

When you look down from the light source the lens stage is not directly in line but opening is in the 2 O'clock position. If you look at the picture the bottom the screen is the front of the enlarger. You can see where the dark area is (this is where the lens board goes into) there is a vignetting occurring. The second picture is without the lens board holder in place so it's a straight view to the base board.
    Another view looking straight down from the light source with lens board holder in place with no lens board on

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2861.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	202469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2860.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	202471
    Here's the view from the bottom looking up

Name:	IMG_2870.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	202472

Now if I turn the lens board 180 degrees there is no vignetting that occurs. However, it is not possible to attach the lens board holder this way given the screw positions to attach the board.

Was this put together wrong? Bad engineering? Any ideas how I can fix this? Right now I'm wishing I had my old Besler 45MX. Thanks
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2862.jpg  

Re: Besler 45 V-XL vignetting; what's going on?

Here is the view from the bottom. The second photo shows there is no vignetting when I turn the lens board holder 180 degrees

Name:	IMG_2870.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	202473

Name:	IMG_2859.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	202474

I have and rebuilt one of these (but it is in dead storage now, so can't check)... It also has this, but if I remember, there was one orientation that seemed to allow normal position of lensboard if the lens was not too big... Had to keep checking the point of optical axis where the lens and carrier lined up correctly...

But mine came to me unassembled, so I had a devil of a time trying to figure it out, and don't exactly remember what I ended up doing... It works correctly, but looked screwy...

Steve K

I never noticed, mine is the same, interesting. Bought mine used 15 years ago and never had problem. I put the lens board on and the opening is centered to the head with clearance for the lens. Don't know what to tell you. Going to look at this more later today, now you peaked my interest.

Take the lens mount off it is attached by the 3 thumb screws. See if you can remove the plate that is cutting off the image area.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Thanks Richard. I have given that a thought and I would like to use that as a last resort. It seems to be that there should be a better fix for this after all this is a popular and well built enlarger. Something is wrong here. I didn't notice that when I go to the web page. The exploded diagram of the enlarger the part number for the lens board adapter is different than the one that is in mine. I've written Besler about this. The part number they list is 10-49521. Mine is 10-49524. Curious what part number others have for their lens board. As I said before if I turn the lens board 180 degrees there is no vignetting but the screw holes don't match up.

Name:	IMG_2863 2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	202480

Here is the exploded view of the enlarger. The metal plate that is causing the vignetting is the lens stage, #22. The lens board holder is part #133. It has three holes that screw into the lens stage. So, I can't remove the metal plate that is causing the vignetting (lens stage) and I really don't want to cut it.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.49.43 AM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	202481

I just took mine apart to check. It is exactly like yours. I've never had vignetting with any format, but I'm using the 8x10 cold light head, which sits flat on top of the negative carrier for many formats. It works fine for all sizes except 8x10 that way. 8x10 requires extending the upper bellows (normally fully compressed) about 3". I don't know what light source your using, or lens, or any of that, but you might try different positions on the upper bellows extension to see if that helps.

that plate cant be right. you should have a clear path from light to easel board. there shouldnt be any of obstructions in the light path. remove it.

Kevin,
    I've got a Heiland 4x5 cold light head that sits on top like you described. With 4x5 I noticed it occasionally but usually not a problem.

Paul, I agree with you that it can't be right but that plate you are referring to is the lens plate. It's not possible to remove it. I may end of following Richard Ritters suggestion of cutting out that area (as a last resort). Something is wrong here with the construction or I have the wrong lens board holder.

Thanks for your suggestions