Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford FP4 expired in 2004 but frozen, what to do? Shoot it?

Ilford FP4 expired in 2004 but frozen, what to do? Shoot it?

I found two boxed (25 each) of FP4 in 8x10 frozen since 2002 and now expired since 2004. Always frozen. Should I shoot it? what speed? any compensation? What will I end up with if I do use it? If you had this experience I ask for guidance.

David Schaller

Re: Ilford FP4 expired in 2004 but frozen ,What tod do? Shoot it?

Absolutely, or send it to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    I found two boxed (25 each) of FP4 in 8x10 frozen since 2002 and now expired since 2004. Always frozen. Should I shoot it? what speed? any compensation? What will I end up with if I do use it? If you had this experience I ask for guidance.
    Start by exposing a test sheet at 50 ASA, process normally, and evaluate. This film should work perfectly well, but with some possible loss of speed.

Well, given what it would cost to replace it, it surely is worth a few sheets to find out. When you say found, I assume you mean that you already have it in hand.
    Load a sheet, expose normally to a full range subject, noting down where the scene values fall on the gray scale, by Zone System or simply by indicated stops,so that you know particularly where you should be seeing minimal and substantial detail in the low values. Process normally. That will give you a starting point.

If the film has lost sensitivity, that's one thing. If it shows fog, someone else here will be able to suggest a benotriazole or other formula that may help.
    Last edited by Ulophot; 10-Apr-2020 at 19:08. Reason: typo
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Treat it like new film and go for it. A test sheet or two, for sure, but treat it normally and go from there.

Reasoning: We have no idea how accurate your meter is or how you use it. No idea on the accuracy of your shutter. No idea of the SBR you will be facing, or how you develop, the state of your chemicals, how you are going to print the image, and so forth.

So assuming your personal film speed at this point is not possible...so believe in the power of the freezer, treat it as new and go from there!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

It's probably just fine. I recently thawed some 8x10 a decade older than that, and can't see any difference from brand new.

Slould I use Xtol to develop? I understand it is good to preserve speed? I usually use HC110 or Rodinal . Is Xtol better for this frozen and old film? I ask because I can buy some and have it delivered this week and then the test may be better.

HC-110 is often used for expired film because it helps keep the fog level down. I'd just test with that. Once you've run the exposure/development test, you should be fine. Slower films like FP4+ age more gracefully than faster films, too.

Drew Wiley

Just use your normal developer choice. If you are really paranoid about this, do a test shot and develop that. If the film has indeed been frozen all this time, it's highly unlikely you're going to have any kind of fog issue.

Thank ALL for the helpful advice !! Happy Easter!!