Thread: Internegative

Internegative

Hi all, I haven’t found any updated threads on the forum about making interneg’s from scanned b&w negatives. I apologize in advance if I missed any current conversations on the subject, a 2018 conversation was the last I could find.

My question is, I want to print some 8x10 film that has too much dust, some type of defect, extreme burning and dodging, etc.
    I have an 8x10. Enlarger and want to print some of these difficult negatives on silver gelatin. Is no longer making inkjet prints, I am on my third Epson 9900 and refuse to purchase another one.

Is it feasible to create quality silver prints from a digital negative?
    Is it worth trying to make your own or is there a high quality service making them?

I have an Epson 3880 and I have a 9900 with several clogged heads I thought about converting it to cone ink?

Thank you!

www.timeandlight.com

Re: Internegative

It probably would have helped if I searched for the term digital negative instead of internegative, doh!

I used to have those made at a place called Bowhaus in L.A. on an 8x10 LVT. I'd drum scan the original neg, do all the retouching and tonal corrections, then size it for the LVT, which had to be in exact metric sizing but usually at Res 80. They would output to a new piece of T-Max 100 and I'd print from that with very little work left to do under the enlarger. You could not tell the difference between those prints and an original other than they were much easier to make.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.bowhaus.com/services/lvtmain.php4

You'll likely have to have the print heads replaced if they won't unclog with normal cleaning procedures. Everyone with a 9900 has to do that at some point. Couple grand for that if you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
    I used to have those made at a place called Bowhaus in L.A. on an 8x10 LVT. I'd drum scan the original neg, do all the retouching and tonal corrections, then size it for the LVT, which had to be in exact metric sizing but usually at Res 80. They would output to a new piece of T-Max 100 and I'd print from that with very little work left to do under the enlarger. You could not tell the difference between those prints and an original other than they were much easier to make.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.bowhaus.com/services/lvtmain.php4

You'll likely have to have the print heads replaced if they won't unclog with normal cleaning procedures. Everyone with a 9900 has to do that at some point. Couple grand for that if you're lucky.
    Thanks for the lead, it looks like $125 for an 8x10 negative. I have already replaced the heads on this printer once and threw away a previous 9900 with the same problem.
    Jon Cone says he can convert it to all black ink since not all of the nozzles are clogged. Could be worth it.

It doesn't surprise me that the prices have gone up substantially. I'm thinking that an 8x10 LVT used to be around $45 and I'd gang four 4x5 images per so they were quite cheap but prices for film and processing have gone up and there's no service available from Kodak on the LVT itself. There was also a Fuji film recorder that some labs used as well.