Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 75mm Super Angulon 5.6 - Lindhof Master Technica - SOFT EDGES

nban1991

Re: 75mm Super Angulon 5.6 - Lindhof Master Technica - SOFT EDGES

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Looks like Linhof has changed the number back to 001015. So you need the 001015 Comfort Board.

Sorry for the confusion.

Here is the Linhof catalog page for it.

http://linhof.com/en/comfort-technika-objektivplatte/
    Ah Ha!

No problems Bob. Thanks again.

I will probably look for a second hand or aftermarket one, as my budget for a new one is not there.

Any tips on if I got a board that didn't have the "comfort" controls?

I am totally happy to use something small to more the dials around as I am not fussy.

As long as the cable release sits properly and fires ill be happy.

Cheers Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by nban1991 View Post
    Ah Ha!

I will probably look for a second hand or aftermarket one, as my budget for a new one is not there.

I am totally happy to use something small to more the dials around as I am not fussy.

Cheers Bob.
    Bite the bullet and get the correct board. It will make operating the shutter much more convenient and easier,

Hello,

This reply is never intended to be mean, destructive or insulting..

Know one of the very real limitations of a camera like Linhof TKM is wide angle lenses.

To use a wide angle lens like 75mm and shorter required a recessed lens board. Compounding the problem with using a recessed board is the small size of the TKM lens board this restricts the diameter of the recess limits access to the shutter controls of a wide angle lens. I've never been OK with using a recessed lens board on any view camera as this forces a list of limitations:

*Camera movement in a TKM.
    *Possible need to drop the bed to prevent the front of the bed from appearing in the image.
    *Focusing the lens due to the front standard being so compressed into the camera.
    *Accessing the shutter speed and aperture ring with a recessed board can be a real problem. This is why Bob recommends the "Comfort board"
    as it WILL make a very real difference in trying to use a lens in a recessed lens board. This is a GOOD recommendation based on making this lens user-easier.

You're essentially stuck with this list and maybe a few more trade-offs that are a fixed-given due to the camera choice.
    An alternative would be to use a longer focal length lens say 90mm and stay away from any lens of shorter focal length.
    Another alternative is to consider another camera that does not have the innate libations of the TKM design.

Bernice

Ah Ha!

Cheers Bob.

75mm is a tough focal length for the Master Technika.

I suggest you get one of the many cheap non-Technika recessed boards available on eBay or elsewhere with a moderate amount of recess. The board you have I believe was made for a 90mm and the design is somewhat specific so that the lens could sit at a certain place on the rails.

Another option would be to remove the inner "cone" and fabricate a flat replacement piece with the correct hole in it to go in its place. A friend with some machinist skills could do this in no time flat, or if you don't mind something rough but functional you could probably make something out of wood.

The Linhof-brand boards, new, are absolutely ridiculous rip-offs and not needed to shoot your camera/lens satisfactorily.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

nban1991

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Hello,

This reply is never intended to be mean, destructive or insulting..

Know one of the very real limitations of a camera like Linhof TKM is wide angle lenses.

To use a wide angle lens like 75mm and shorter required a recessed lens board. Compounding the problem with using a recessed board is the small size of the TKM lens board this restricts the diameter of the recess limits access to the shutter controls of a wide angle lens. I've never been OK with using a recessed lens board on any view camera as this forces a list of limitations:

*Camera movement in a TKM.
    *Possible need to drop the bed to prevent the front of the bed from appearing in the image.
    *Focusing the lens due to the front standard being so compressed into the camera.
    *Accessing the shutter speed and aperture ring with a recessed board can be a real problem. This is why Bob recommends the "Comfort board"
    as it WILL make a very real difference in trying to use a lens in a recessed lens board. This is a GOOD recommendation based on making this lens user-easier.

You're essentially stuck with this list and maybe a few more trade-offs that are a fixed-given due to the camera choice.
    An alternative would be to use a longer focal length lens say 90mm and stay away from any lens of shorter focal length.
    Another alternative is to consider another camera that does not have the innate libations of the TKM design.

Bernice
    Hey Bernice,

Thanks for the info mate, I appreciate it.

If we were to talk 90mm's, what would be some that you recommend?

Thanks,

nban1991

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    75mm is a tough focal length for the Master Technika.

I suggest you get one of the many cheap non-Technika recessed boards available on eBay or elsewhere with a moderate amount of recess. The board you have I believe was made for a 90mm and the design is somewhat specific so that the lens could sit at a certain place on the rails.

Another option would be to remove the inner "cone" and fabricate a flat replacement piece with the correct hole in it to go in its place. A friend with some machinist skills could do this in no time flat, or if you don't mind something rough but functional you could probably make something out of wood.

The Linhof-brand boards, new, are absolutely ridiculous rip-offs and not needed to shoot your camera/lens satisfactorily.
    Hey Corran,

If I can make the 75mm work I will. As I said it was a lens that I inherited and is an amazing one at that. I obviously until now have just been blinded thinking that the lensboard I was using would somehow accommodate it.

I've worked out that the recess is 12mm, the info I have got straight from the 'official' 001015 Linhof recessed boards. I think I'm going to try one off eBay, and if then it proves too difficult, I will fall on my own sword knowing that I was told this would happen.

Given this is a folder...
    90mm f8 SW Nikkor. or similar f8 modern wide angle design.
    f8 lenses are usually not a problem to focus as folders are typically used outdoors in bright enough light.

The larger aperture wide angle lenses don't work well at all on a TKM, been there done this.
    IMO, a 90mm on 4x5 is easily wide enough for the majority of wide angle images on 4x5, but this does depends on your print image goals.

Bernice

Hey Bernice,

Thanks for the info mate, I appreciate it.

If we were to talk 90mm's, what would be some that you recommend?

Thanks,

nban1991

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Given this is a folder...
    90mm f8 SW Nikkor. or similar f8 modern wide angle design.
    f8 lenses are usually not a problem to focus as folders are typically used outdoors in bright enough light.

The larger aperture wide angle lenses don't work well at all on a TKM, been there done this.
    IMO, a 90mm on 4x5 is easily wide enough for the majority of wide angle images on 4x5, but this does depends on your print image goals.

Bernice
    Thanks for the hint Bernice.

What have you make of the Schneider SA 90mm XL 5.6 or non-XL version??

Thanks

nban1991

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Bite the bullet and get the correct board. It will make operating the shutter much more convenient and easier,
    Hey Bob,

Say I purchased the proper lens board for the 75mm, would there be any fall off around the edges (thinking ahead if a center filter would be needed)?

Thanks.

Nick

Hey Bob,

Say I purchased the proper lens board for the 75mm, would there be any fall off around the edges (thinking ahead if a center filter would be needed)?

Thanks.

Nick
    All modern wa lenses have fall off and all can benefit from a cf. the faster versions will show less fall off as they cover a larger circle then the slower ones so the fall off starts farther out from the center.