Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 75mm Super Angulon 5.6 - Lindhof Master Technica - SOFT EDGES

Re: 75mm Super Angulon 5.6 - Lindhof Master Technica - SOFT EDGES

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    All modern wa lenses have fall off and all can benefit from a cf. the faster versions will show less fall off as they cover a larger circle then the slower ones so the fall off starts farther out from the center.
    Stuff and nonsense. Cos^4 rules, is the same value for the same angle off axis for all lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Stuff and nonsense. Cos^4 rules, is the same value for the same angle off axis for all lenses.
    No nonsense, the larger the circle the further out it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No nonsense, the larger the circle the further out it starts.
    I've done the calculations. Have you?

Neither, there is already a struggle with the 75mm f5.6. The 90mm f5.6 or larger aperture lenses are BIGGER. Yes, the back focus distance is longer with a 90mm which might aid in this problem, but this is a folder camera which does not completely benefit from the slightly larger image circle over a f8 90mm. One some what in-between is the Rodenstock 90mm f6.8.

None of which will make your images "that" much better once all other variables (camera support, film, processing, print making and a LOT more) are accounted for. In real world image making with modern wide angle lenses, it is not worth the struggle to try for that projection of an ideal wide angle lens. Get a f8 or f6.8 90mm modern wide angle and move on.

If you're really serious about getting the absolute most out of a modern wide angle lens.. get a monorail camera with a bag bellows. This can and will address every limitation imposed by a folder.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by nban1991 View Post
    Thanks for the hint Bernice.

What have you make of the Schneider SA 90mm XL 5.6 or non-XL version??

Thanks

Thanks for the hint Bernice.

What have you make of the Schneider SA 90mm XL 5.6 or non-XL version??

Thanks
    I have both the Nikkor 90mm f/8 as well as the Schneider 90mm XL, and have used both on my Linhof Master Technika, as well as other 4x5 cameras.

I would never bring the giant Schneider out in the woods where I'm schlepping gear long distances. However if I'm shooting architecture and not carrying things very far, and want a bit brighter image on the ground glass and perhaps a bit more image circle, I'll bring the XL.

Your question about CF's has been asked a lot, and some of the opinions presented will be highly subjective. Whether or not you need it depends on your shooting habits and sensibilities.

Here's a shot from my Linhof MT and 90XL from a few weeks ago:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

nban1991

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Neither, there is already a struggle with the 75mm f5.6. The 90mm f5.6 or larger aperture lenses are BIGGER. Yes, the back focus distance is longer with a 90mm which might aid in this problem, but this is a folder camera which does not completely benefit from the slightly larger image circle over a f8 90mm. One some what in-between is the Rodenstock 90mm f6.8.

None of which will make your images "that" much better once all other variables (camera support, film, processing, print making and a LOT more) are accounted for. In real world image making with modern wide angle lenses, it is not worth the struggle to try for that projection of an ideal wide angle lens. Get a f8 or f6.8 90mm modern wide angle and move on.

If you're really serious about getting the absolute most out of a modern wide angle lens.. get a monorail camera with a bag bellows. This can and will address every limitation imposed by a folder.

Bernice
    Hi there Bernice,

Thanks for the advice.

Do you mind me asking which lens board the 90 6.8 needs on a technica?

nban1991

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I have both the Nikkor 90mm f/8 as well as the Schneider 90mm XL, and have used both on my Linhof Master Technika, as well as other 4x5 cameras.

I would never bring the giant Schneider out in the woods where I'm schlepping gear long distances. However if I'm shooting architecture and not carrying things very far, and want a bit brighter image on the ground glass and perhaps a bit more image circle, I'll bring the XL.

Your question about CF's has been asked a lot, and some of the opinions presented will be highly subjective. Whether or not you need it depends on your shooting habits and sensibilities.

Here's a shot from my Linhof MT and 90XL from a few weeks ago:

Hey Corran,

Beautiful image mate.

Just wondering what image boards the Schneider 90 Xl and Nikkor 90 8 use on the technica?

Thanks you!

My Nikkor 90mm is on a recessed board, a Gaorsi-brand board that I bought after getting fed up with the crappy Linhof QR system on a Linhof board I bought second-hand. Linhof recessed boards suck...IMO.

The 90mm XL is on a flat board.

Thanks, btw!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

nban1991

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    My Nikkor 90mm is on a recessed board, a Gaorsi-brand board that I bought after getting fed up with the crappy Linhof QR system on a Linhof board I bought second-hand. Linhof recessed boards suck...IMO.

The 90mm XL is on a flat board.

Thanks, btw!
    Hey Corran,

How about fixing the XL to the MT. Does it require the back element be taken off to mount?

Cheers

Hey Corran,

How about fixing the XL to the MT. Does it require the back element be taken off to mount?

Cheers
    Of course it does, unless you have the one with the removable ring on the back of the lens.