Thread: C-41 / E-6 tank inversion or wand for agitation?

C-41 / E-6 tank inversion or wand for agitation?

Hi.
    When I develope B&W 35mm film, I use a Patterson tank. I typically develope 1 roll at a time and only pour in 11 ounces of solution which just covers the film with a little extra coverage. Then during periods of agitation, I use the wand to move the film back and forth. The film is always completely covered by the solution (except the very beginning of the solution, I will put the top on the tank and give it a good shake). This works totally fine with good repeatable results.

Now I'm about to try out C-41 using the Patterson tank for 35mm. I've read the instructions and they suggest tank inversions and don't talk about using the wand. This difference is fine by me, but, if I only dump in 11 ounces of solution for 1 roll of film, and only use inversions for agitation, then the film will not be in direct contact with the solution for as long as it would if I were using the wand method.

Question is, do I stick with my B&W method OR do I use the tank inverting method for agitation? And if I invert, do I need to add a full tank worth of solution when doing C-41 and E-6 developing regardless of how many rolls are in there or can I stick with the 11 ounces that just covers the 1 roll?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Adam

Re: C-41 / E-6 tank inversion or wand for agitation?

Follow the recommended procedure. I've processed a lot of color film over the years in Paterson tanks. The wand is used for the first 30 seconds to vigorously agitate. Then put on the cap and give calm inversions with a bit of rotation. I would agitate for 5 seconds, 3 or 4 gentle slow inversions, every 30 seconds. Use a water bath to prewarm the tank and to maintain temperature.
    Some pre-wet to warm tank. After inverting tank give it a firm tap on the bench to dislodge any air bells.

Ok I got it. Thanks for those tips. Makes sense. I like it.

Would you suggest filling the Patterson tank regardless of how much film is in there OR is it ok to only pour in what's needed? In the case of just one Roll, Patterson says 10 ounces. Ive used 11. Just want to be sure....

I would use the recommendation from Paterson.