Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 x 7 film holder confusion

Huub

Re: 5 x 7 film holder confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Bauie View Post
    Thanks for the answers but I'm still not clear, will these holders marked "12 x 16.5cm" accept standard Ilford 5x7 film?
    The easiest way to find out is to cut a sheet of paper of the size of 5x7 film - which should be 125x175 millimeters and which is actually a tiny bit smaller then exactly 5x7 inch - and try to put it in the cassette. When the paper fits, the film will fit too. And when it doesn't....

AND FWIW

I have to say that when I bought my first 5 x 7 Camera and discussed film holders with the (reputable seller), I was totally confused - it was only
    when I'd bought some 13 x 18 holders (in addition to the existing 5 x 7 one's) that I was able to get a handle on this

good luck and regards to the OP (and everyone else on here)

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    I have some more recent 'Fidelity Elite holders' and the exact size is 171 x 123
    So that wouldn't fit 12,7mm which is the width of the 5x7" film.....
    but of course half plate film sheats would fit a 5x7 filmholder - just to add to the confusion
    but I guess the op was actually asking whether 5x7 film would fit a half plate holder (or half plate film sheat), and it would not.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    The easiest way to find out is to cut a sheet of paper of the size of 5x7 film - which should be 125x175 millimeters and which is actually a tiny bit smaller then exactly 5x7 inch - and try to put it in the cassette. When the paper fits, the film will fit too. And when it doesn't....
    Logistically that would be challenging as I'm in Australia and the film holders are in the US! If I had the film holders in front of me I'd just try to put a sheet in.

I'm glad I found this thread because I really need to know the main dimensions of 5x7 film holders. I'm building a 5x7 camera and am currently working on the rear standard. I really thought I had everything covered as i have a couple of plastic Fidelity half plate holders which I was assured by the person I got them from that they were the *exact* external dimensions of true 5x7 holders. In addition I've downloaded the ANSI standards for film holders and find that the ANSI sizes for 5x7 are different from the two I have in front of me.

I know there's been a lot of discussion here over the years about film holder sizes and that there's a lot of confusion (and variation?), but it would help me if I can get some consensus from actual users of 5x7 of the dimensions of your own film holders. Particularly exact thickness, width, overall length, length from bottom to sealing rib, and depth from front to septum.

It occurred to me that I should buy some from eBay or whatever, but with the lockdown I don't know how long that would take. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread because I really need to know the main dimensions of 5x7 film holders. I'm building a 5x7 camera and am currently working on the rear standard. I really thought I had everything covered as i have a couple of plastic Fidelity half plate holders which I was assured by the person I got them from that they were the *exact* external dimensions of true 5x7 holders. In addition I've downloaded the ANSI standards for film holders and find that the ANSI sizes for 5x7 are different from the two I have in front of me.

I know there's been a lot of discussion here over the years about film holder sizes and that there's a lot of confusion (and variation?), but it would help me if I can get some consensus from actual users of 5x7 of the dimensions of your own film holders. Particularly exact thickness, width, overall length, length from bottom to sealing rib, and depth from front to septum.

It occurred to me that I should buy some from eBay or whatever, but with the lockdown I don't know how long that would take. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Hello Barry, here are the measurements of one of my newish Fidelity Elite 5x7 holders.

Thickness 12.6mm
    Width 149.5mm
    Overall length 225mm
    Length from hinged end to start of sealing rib 191.5mm
    Sealing rib is 2mm wide.

Depth from front to septum can't tell you at the moment as all my holders have film in them!

Hope this helps,

Alan

Thanks Alan, that's a great help. My Fidelity Deluxe Half Plate holders are identical to 5x7 as I was told, so I can go ahead and build the camera back to suit. Would you mind also checking the image height and width on yours for me please? I've learnt that you can't rely on the published ANSI standards - or maybe manufacturers make their own. Many thanks again.

Barry

Barry,
    image height is 123mm. Image width is 170mm. Image area starts 17.5mm in from the outer edge of the hinged end.

Alan

Barry, the measurements I have just given you above are the dimensions of the opening in the film holder. For some reason the image size on the negative is smaller - 120mm by 169mm. Can't check this out properly because, as stated earlier, my holders all have unexposed film in them.

Alan

Thanks again, Alan. I will eventually get some proper 5x7 holders, which would be ideal to have so that I can make the back to fit the actual holders I have on hand. With the economic hit to the economy of this Corona virus I would prefer to buy locally, and have asked on the Australian LF forum, without success. My plan B is to seek help from others like your good self.

The difference between film holder opening size and actual image size would be due to the internal guides that the film slides under. I had forgotten about these when I asked about image size. I wanted to know the opening size, which you gave me any way. Many thanks again, Alan. Enjoy your Spring and the coming Summer in 'God's Own Country'.