Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macro setup possible

Re: Macro setup possible

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    I thing I’m going with the screw-in filters if I can order them. Macro is not my thing but it will keeps me occupied for now.
    I have sets made by Nikon and Hoya. They are good quality. You can pick them up fairly easily on the used market. They are less expensive that way, and the ones I have acquired have all been in good condition. All you need to know is the filter thread sizes. Adapter rings can be used to try them on all your lenses, if filter thread sizes vary.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
    I have sets made by Nikon and Hoya. They are good quality. You can pick them up fairly easily on the used market. They are less expensive that way, and the ones I have acquired have all been in good condition. All you need to know is the filter thread sizes. Adapter rings can be used to try them on all your lenses, if filter thread sizes vary.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got my set years ago at a camera show. The set came in an F64 filter wallet and they are all 72mm. At that tine this was a relatively unusually large size, and the price was a batgan (edont remember exactly how much) Next went to the bargan bin/junk drawer at Houston's Camera Co-Op to find step-up rings to fit my lenses and presto. Later on, I found a few 72mm B&W filters in 72mm too.

The argument can be made that only a dedicated macro designed lens will do the job. I f I had a big assignment documenting a valuable stamp collection I might get one . . . but for now, the screw-in plus diopters will do just fine.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
    You can use the screw-in Close-up lenses which come in +1,+2,+3 etc diopters.
    I've used those fairly often on cine cameras. With a view camera they should save fussing with huge bellows extensions. It's also nice that you can predict your camera position and extension ahead of time a little better. With your camera bellows at infinity focus, a plus diopter will focus at (1/diopter #) meters from the film plane.
    -Chris

I have done quite a bit of macro work on 4x5, using a Cambo/Calumet monorail and a 120 f5.6 Apo Macro Nikkor. I would light directly over a shiny object, use camera movements to get the correct image. This is a pen sized surgical instrument the tip is 1mm across.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CANULA.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	202295

Remember that for 1:1, the extension needed is 2X the FL between lens and film, so (for example) with a 210mm lens, you will need 420mm between them to cover a 4X5 shooting area (with 4X5 format)...

Steve K

Marco Fantin

I made a spreadsheet to calculate bellows draw and camera position for macrophotography. You may find it helpful to select your setup. Please see at this link in the forum: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...tup-Calculator
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials