Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash Cable for Kodak Supermatic Shutter

Flash Cable for Kodak Supermatic Shutter

Hi all,

I want to use my Kodak Flash Supermatic Shutter f7.7 with my studio strobe. Can I buy an adapter for a male PC flash sync cable or do I need a whole new cable? I don’t know what you call the cable that fits the two prongs on the shutter. Also what is the sync speed for electronic flash and is the flash output always active?

Thanks

Photographer

Re: Flash Cable for Kodak Supermatic Shutter

Paramount cords will be the the most likely source. Try this: https://paramountcords.com/product/1...foot-straight/
    Keith Pitman

Some Flash Supermatic shutters have an "ASA bayonet" flash connector. For mine, I long ago found an adapter that converted it to a standard PC connector.
    It sounds like yours has the common two-pin "bi-post" connector. Paramount was the company who made the flash cable you'll need- don't know if they're still in business though.
    Those are leaf shutters and sync at all speeds, and are active all the time. There should be a sync setting for "X" on the face of your shutter, use that.
    (BTW, some Ilex shutters from the same era had a separate cocking lever for the flash sync.)

For a long time I used an AC cord for an electric razor... Worked great!!!

But as mentioned, Paramount will make you a bi-post to AC connector sync cord...

Steve K

I had the same issue and since I am not leaving the house these days I figured out a way to do this at home. It seems the standard terminal blocks 5.08mm fit the bipost connector if you take a small drill bit and hollow oout the plastic a little. This should in theory allow you to attach a bi-post connector to anything since the terminal block allows you to connect any bare wire connection. My flash remotes use a 1/8" jack, but you could use anything. It is a very DIY solution, but works perfectly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200403_105816398.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	202212

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Paramount cords will be the the most likely source. Try this: https://paramountcords.com/product/1...foot-straight/
    Thanks, Here is a link to the one I would need. https://paramountcords.com/product/b...male-6-inches/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Some Flash Supermatic shutters have an "ASA bayonet" flash connector. For mine, I long ago found an adapter that converted it to a standard PC connector.
    It sounds like yours has the common two-pin "bi-post" connector. Paramount was the company who made the flash cable you'll need- don't know if they're still in business though.
    Those are leaf shutters and sync at all speeds, and are active all the time. There should be a sync setting for "X" on the face of your shutter, use that.
    (BTW, some Ilex shutters from the same era had a separate cocking lever for the flash sync.)
    My shutter has F or M.

Quote Originally Posted by exee View Post
    I had the same issue and since I am not leaving the house these days I figured out a way to do this at home. It seems the standard terminal blocks 5.08mm fit the bipost connector if you take a small drill bit and hollow oout the plastic a little. This should in theory allow you to attach a bi-post connector to anything since the terminal block allows you to connect any bare wire connection. My flash remotes use a 1/8" jack, but you could use anything. It is a very DIY solution, but works perfectly.

Name:	IMG_20200403_105816398.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	202212
    Wow, I think I can dig one one those up! I see you have your set to F and am assuming this is good for electronic flash?

Quote Originally Posted by sruddy View Post
    Thanks, Here is a link to the one I would need. https://paramountcords.com/product/b...male-6-inches/

My shutter has F or M.

F was for gas filled bulbs. X is for electronic flash. It has 0 delay.

Wow, I think I can dig one one those up! I see you have your set to F and am assuming this is good for electronic flash?

F stands for fast flash bulbs and apparently if you do not cock the flash delay, which I believe is the lever by the T in my photo, this shutter will work with modern flashes. I have yet to try it out. I will probably know in a couple of days.

Mine has a button. I have no idea what it does and can't find a user manual for this shutter. I just did a quick and dirty connection to test it. My studio strobes fire fine with either setting. I'll try and look through the lens while firing off the flash to see if I see any sync issues.

Name:	IMG_3281.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	202213

I think the button holds the shutter open to focus if you set the shutter to (B)ulb or (T)ime? But I am new to this too so...Is there a groove where a delay lever might have been? Maybe it was modded in the past? Take a shot or two and see if there are any sync problems. If not happy shooting.