Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hole Saw For Commercial Ektar Lens

Drew Wiley

Re: Hole Saw For Commercial Ektar Lens

If it's a holesaw you have to measure the ACTUAL outside tooth diameter with a caliper. Brands differ, even within the same nominal size. Hole saws are not precise with respect to diameter. Someone might want to debate that, but I doubt they've sold the thousands and thousands of them I have.

In wood you can cheat a couple of millimeters by rocking the hole saw using a hand drill. I have mostly wooden boards that I get from Zimba (or something like that) off of Ebay. These are machined, lathed, flawless. I will never again hack away at a nice board with a hole saw. Especially a metal board. I found a semi retired machinist who has cut back to 40-50 hours a week. He's helped me with some metal parts, worth every penny.

Still if you want to do it yourself go ahead, caution even clamped and held down its easy to warp metal boards.

Quote Originally Posted by pendennis View Post
    When cutting metal, I always keep the hole saw lubricated with machine oil I've never had a warp. My main concern here was whether the 2" or 50mm hole saw would be correct.
    Is this an April Fools joke?

Photographer

As Duolab123 said, for a metal board, find a home machinist who can cut a perfect hole for you. It will be worth a couple of bucks versus a hack job you can do with a hole saw.
    Keith Pitman

In the old days, if not in a hurry I would contact Luland on eBay and ask them to build me a Linhof or Sinar or whatever plate with a custom hole. It’s usually same price as the standard Copal hole sizes. It’s CNC’d and they do a great job. They can also machine custom retaining rings etc

You still can if you don’t mind buying directly from China (and apply whatever handling provisions you are comfortable with).

Turns out it’s cheaper for me than going to a CNC machine shop around my area, they know already what I need without having to provide a drawing, and usually takes about 7-10 days to arrive which is not bad.

For metal, boring bar on a mill...

For wood, I use a circle cutting attachment on my router... Beautiful hole...

On some retaining rings, there is a shoulder that can go inside the board that is a little bigger than the threads that might be a standard size... Measure that too...

Steve K

45er

I always like to drill a hole before I drill the hole, a whole lot better hole.

Quote Originally Posted by seall View Post
    I always like to drill a hole before I drill the hole, a whole lot better hole.
    A holistic approach, eh?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    A holistic approach, eh?
    Holy Cow!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

... and now we know the whole story!!