Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Polaroid 20x24 Cameras and standard films?

Zebra

Re: Polaroid 20x24 Cameras and standard films?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Monty,

Good to know this. I always thought a longer lens is preferred for portraits. For example, an 18 inch lens for 8x10 portraits because you add 8 and 10 together. It seems ULF life size portraits can be done with shorter lenses, even for head/shoulder shots.

When I do 14x17 or 16x20 head/shoulder shots with natural lights, a 32-35 inch lens will require lots of bellows draw. Maybe I should just try to use a shorter lens.
    Hugo

I’m not very technical with my photography. I read an article years ago when I first made the jump to ULF by Ron Wisner in which he described the counter intuitive premise about shorter focal lengths as it pertains to ULF negatives. In short you don’t get the distortion you do on smaller formats (no mis-proportioned noses) when using short focal lengths on large negatives. Peter LeGrand I believe used a 355 G Claron on many of his beautiful larger than life 20 x 24 headshots of Columbia College in Chicago (great view camera article on that project). As I said I use the Schneider 550 XXL on all portraiture when shooting film. I use the 37 inch Dallmeyer 8D on full body wet plate portraiture. Dallmeyer 30 inch Rapid Rectilinear for head and shoulders wet plate. Here are examples of the 550 in a pt/pd print and a 20 x 24 wet plate full body with the 8D. PM any time to discuss further. I always enjoy your contributions to us all and would gladly give something small back in return.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3535F0CF-06D8-47CC-9194-D03EE6310C91.jpg   ADFFF7CE-0BE6-4A1D-B8B2-E6B5B40D7B44.jpg  

Zebra

https://www.mocp.org/detail.php?type...=7359&t=people

Not sure of every focal length on these portraits and my memory is the resource on the View Camera Article referenced about the 355 G Claron. Many of thesewere taken with the 20 x 24 Polaroid as well I believe although these prints shown here are prints I think. Hope this is useful.

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Monty,

Good to know this. I always thought a longer lens is preferred for portraits. For example, an 18 inch lens for 8x10 portraits because you add 8 and 10 together. It seems ULF life size portraits can be done with shorter lenses, even for head/shoulder shots.

When I do 14x17 or 16x20 head/shoulder shots with natural lights, a 32-35 inch lens will require lots of bellows draw. Maybe I should just try to use a shorter lens.
    Hugo,
    I don't shoot ULF so feel free to poke fun at my comment, but on 8x10 I've always used 10" or 12" lenses for portraits.
    I tried longer lenses, such as 14", 15" and 16", but always felt uncomfortable with them. Everything looked too flat and definitely lacked the sitter's presence.
    So give shorter FLs a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Ari,

I use 12" for full or half body and it is perfect. But for head shots, even a 14" lens does not look quite right. My lenses of choice for 810 heads is Universal-Heliar 42cm and Dallmeyer 3A.

Monty,

The second picture was shot with the 550mm and it is 20x24? It looks so good!

since we're talking about 8x10, my go to for most photographs is a 300 5.6. I've used a 210 Fuji (inside lettering) for full and waist up portraits when I wanted more breathing room in the photo.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Yes,
    direct email to my gmail address for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    Not to derail the thread but... Tracy, are you still making studio camera stands?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com