Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bergger Print Film Question?

New Bergger Print Film Question?

QUESTION: If I project my 35mm film negative via my enlarger to some 8x10 Bergger Print film, I assume I will get a positive which then, in turn, needs to be contact printed to get an 8x10 negative. Am I getting this correct for making a new enlarged negative?

Assuming I am correct, what is the point of the new Bergger Print film then? I can make enlarged negatives with Ortho film in the same two steps and for cheaper. Help me understand what I am missing?

Thank you.

Re: New Bergger Print Film Question?

You are right about how to make an enlarged negative. If you want to know what is the difference between Bergger Print Film and some other Ortho film is very easy. Make an enlarged negative from the same 35mm film negative with both ortho films and you will get your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Assuming I am correct, what is the point of the new Bergger Print film then? I can make enlarged negatives with Ortho film in the same two steps and for cheaper. Help me understand what I am missing?
    The point of the Bergger product, the way I see it, is that due to its slow speed, it is more appropriate for use under an enlarger, as faster materials (e.g. 25-50 ISO ortho film) require very short exposures which may be challenging and preclude burning/dodging.

Of course there are all kinds of variations to the process of getting from a 35mm negative to a large format negative. The interpositive route you describe is one, and you could in that process of course also enlarge 35mm to 4x5" interpositive and then further enlarge the 4x5" interpositive to an 8x10" (or whatever size you fancy) negative. For this you could use any combination of Bergger Print Film and/or regular ortho film or even normal pan film or xray film.
    Another route would be a direct duplicate negative through reversal processing, but this requires some calibration of exposures and reversal development chemistry/processing.

Very helpful reply, thank you very much. I just ordered some 4x5 and 8x10 to do exactly as you described to enlarge from 35mm to 4x5 and then from 4x5 to 8x10. I am excited to give this a try. I really like that I can control the contrast with a regular film developer like D76 by development time versus paper developer dilution with Ortho film for example. My plan is to try and make some 8x10 negatives sutiable for platinum printing and another one for silver gelatin contact prints.

I am excited to see how things go.

Thank again.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    The point of the Bergger product, the way I see it, is that due to its slow speed, it is more appropriate for use under an enlarger, as faster materials (e.g. 25-50 ISO ortho film) require very short exposures which may be challenging and preclude burning/dodging.

Of course there are all kinds of variations to the process of getting from a 35mm negative to a large format negative. The interpositive route you describe is one, and you could in that process of course also enlarge 35mm to 4x5" interpositive and then further enlarge the 4x5" interpositive to an 8x10" (or whatever size you fancy) negative. For this you could use any combination of Bergger Print Film and/or regular ortho film or even normal pan film or xray film.
    Another route would be a direct duplicate negative through reversal processing, but this requires some calibration of exposures and reversal development chemistry/processing.

Drew Wiley

Ive used both TMX100 and FP4 for this kind of application. Being panchromatic, you have to work under total darkness, but it also means you can generate black and white negatives from color film originals too.

I've already tried out the print film and attest to the high quality of the product. It works under normal safelight and has a clear base when fixed. Very stable and very scratch resistant...class A product!

LFLARRY did you purchase in the states?? Where?

Hi, I purchashed from the Bergger USA website and it was delivered in just a few days. Getting ready to start testing this week.

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    I've already tried out the print film and attest to the high quality of the product. It works under normal safelight and has a clear base when fixed. Very stable and very scratch resistant...class A product!

Peter, what developer did you use? I plan to use D-76.

What was your application of the print film? Making duplicate or enlarged negatives? What type of prints did you make?

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post

For the first step do a contact of the original.. your final negative will be sharper.