Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to look for used gear

where to look for used gear

The trade here in used cameras, lenses and accessories seems to have slowed way down, even before the virus disruption. Did it move elsewhere or have we traded ourselves into a steady equilibrium?
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Re: where to look for used gear

Mike, people aren't listing as much on ebay.com, ebay.co.uk, ebay.fr, and leboncoin.fr either. Coronavirus, y'know. I'm not sure about yahoo.jp, don't pay much attention it.

i think most of it has slowed down for two reasons- first is no seller wants to deal with getting the items shipped and what that involves with the current state of "shelter at home" orders. Second, is with the layoffs and economic uncertainty, sellers are likely not getting what they want to get for anything they are selling and are willing to wait if they have the financial means to do that.

On this end a few months back acquired a lot of photo items (that I will never use) at an Estate Sale. With the state of Connecticut seemingly closed down because of the virus, and trips to the Post Office to drop off packages not exactly a necessity, have decided to hang onto everything till I can actually stand close to the person in line in front of me. A friend who has been doing a lot of business on eBay for years Emailed me that he's stopped selling for the time being. The second hand, junk, antique, and various shops here in Connecticut and in New York where he mostly gets his items from have all closed till at least the end of April.

Greg, if you have a decent scale and a USPS account, you can print and pay for labels at home. Your regular letter carrier will pick the package up. We have a mailbox on our front porch's side wall, I just leave boxes there.

This won't work for everyone but might work for you.

Foamer

I have seen a dramatic drop in for sale items everywhere. Haven't come across any bargains either. I think everything is on hold at the moment as people spend all their cash on toilet paper. I've often thought the people who buy large format stuff are generally not living paycheck to paycheck.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

(Shrek)

Wait another 2-3 weeks, you might start seeing a lot of bargains on ebay. If you have the means to buy, please do, because people will be selling so they can buy food and medicine.

Suggesting to those starting out to just get something basic to start shooting with (to get the hang of it), then allow time to find items as they slowly start showing up (could even take years)... And is better as one throughly learns basic gear to operate and get best possible results... One's "needs" are basic, and as later gear is found, it can "mesh" with what one has already...

One general suggestion about buying anything is that, let's say you wanted a specific camera, you are competing against others who may have read the same things about it that you did, but something more "generic" might have others floating around not as in "demand", so more choices (including condition and completeness)... And you will be a more informed buyer the next time around too...

Don't be in a hurry, and don't be compulsive, stuff will find its way to you, but it can take time, so get something to work with sooner, and see what turns up later... Spend more on film, not whims...

Steve K

All the fun has been choked out of the FS section here, so I find myself browsing APUG and eBay a lot these days.

This

Don't run down the hill, walk down and meet all the animals

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Wait another 2-3 weeks, you might start seeing a lot of bargains on ebay. If you have the means to buy, please do, because people will be selling so they can buy food and medicine.
    Tin Can