Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19: Ilford factory in Mobberley shutting down for now

Zebra

Re: Covid-19: Ilford factory in Mobberley shutting down for now

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    It puzzles me how often people encounter news like this and the first thing they think is that the company is acting purely out of greed. WTF?

So true. Said about a company that goes out of its way to serve this community with an annual run of no minimum odd sizes that I’m sure is much more problematic to produce than its worth. And yet year after year there they are for us. Ilford has been there for us and I hope they continue to be. If they are I’ll be sure to be there when they return increase or not.

My, if it was about greed they would be issue credit cards. Hmmn??

Was there ever any conclusive result about negotiations on the Mobberley site lease, which was due to finish this year or 2021?? I recall the local authority not allowing any updates and modernisation of the site (because 'chemicals = nasty' apparently) but then it all went quiet again. This was a couple of years ago.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Was there ever any conclusive result about negotiations on the Mobberley site lease, which was due to finish this year or 2021?? I recall the local authority not allowing any updates and modernisation of the site (because 'chemicals = nasty' apparently) but then it all went quiet again. This was a couple of years ago.
    I would guess that might change now as so many people will be demanding jobs.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Eric Woodbury

I bought a bunch from Samys. Same price and less than BH. Freestyle has it too. BH has dropped back a bit, but still high.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I bought a bunch from Samys. Same price and less than BH. Freestyle has it too. BH has dropped back a bit, but still high.
    Sammy's doesn't seem to carry 8x10. Freestyle charges $16 for shipping. B&H shipping is free and 2-day. With their card you don't pay taxes. They're still the cheapest option overall for 8x10....

Eric Woodbury

More importantly, Samy's doesn't carry 5x7. All true. Last week, BH was $175 for 8x10. They dropped 25 bucks. 120 still much cheaper from Sam. And paper. Samy has free shipping, too, and given where I live, it shows up the next day.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Covid-19: Ilford factory in Mobberley shutting down for now

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    More importantly, Samy's doesn't carry 5x7. All true. Last week, BH was $175 for 8x10. They dropped 25 bucks. 120 still much cheaper from Sam. And paper. Samy has free shipping, too, and given where I live, it shows up the next day.
    Yup. 3-4 weeks ago the same FP4 8x10 at B&H was 130, then like you say 175, and now 150. I have both from the first and the latter, and the one I just received last Friday has the same "expiration date" as the one I bought 4 weeks ago. This makes me think that it's the same “batch” from B&H (although it's not for sure, as don't really know how deep is their stock, and how frequently Ilford actually creates new runs where they update the date). But this fluctuation is very weird. Freestyle has had the same price since at least January.

I just watched the short film Behind the Scenes at Ilford again. I just think it's a wonderful little film. I hope everyone stays safe and rests up. I'm going to be needed Harmon products (God willing) for a long time to come.

Drew Wiley

The batch number has nothing to do with the price B&H paid unless they somehow bought that entire batch, which is unlikely. It's determined by the manufacturer's distribution arrangement. None of us know the actual costs or profit margins unless we work for one of the above. But supply and demand no doubt factors in.