Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinder Cameras

Re: Rangefinder Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Crider View Post
    What seems like a long time ago I use to shoot a Super Graphic with a 135mm Optar. I actually became pretty efficient at handheld with it and could rattle shots off pretty quick if necessay, not they were all good, but it was fun, and I actually enjoyed the darkroom work just as much as shooting with it. Eventually I sold the Graphic for a lighter (?) MF system(s), sold out of those, and then went back to my begining with the lighter 35mm film cameras with a concurrent sojourn with a small Sony digital mirrorless. Now I'm back to wanting a 4x5 again. (Yes I'm crazy.) I still have my 4x5 darkroom equipment including many film holders, so I'm thinking of a rangefinder 4x5, no handholding pet se', no dark cloth and just one lens, and wanted ideas on the easier shooting models, meaning handholds besides tripod shooting. I'll be living up in the N. Georgia Mountains later this year and I think the 4x5 would be fun to use over a 35mm, and I could use the mirrorless for color.
    The Technikas and such are Mirrorless...
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

(Shrek)

The absolute nicest rangefinder camera I've ever used, any format, was the Kalart Press camera with the built-in focuspot. Unfortunately it only came in 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 (?). I would take one of those over the Leica M2 I used for a couple of years.

Beautiful! I've got to look into this idea some more.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Hi Wayne

Years ago Bostick and Sullivan made something called a HOBO, you could hand hold it if you wanted or throw it on a tripod.
    I think it came with 1 lens, was pretty bare-bonz.... [both 5x4 and 8x10] its not a RF but still, maybe it is similar to what you want? unless you need a technical field camera
    and a speeder or polo-conversion doesn't work.

Good luck with your quest !
    John
    Yeah I remember that now.. Another to look into. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    I built a 4x5 Polaroid conversion about 17 years ago. Made it from several different cameras. Basically it is a Polaroid 110b with a 135 Symmar and a Sinar back. I made it to have something portable and fast. And it works perfectly for that. I'd like to make another one someday and do it perfect. I built one for a friend that was perfect and I wish I had it myself. The one I have has been reworked a couple of times and even took a shot to the snout faceplanting on a windy day when it was blown over while sitting on a tripod. Still works though. I don't know why anyone would want to carry around a Linhof or a Speed Graphic. The Polaroid conversion is so much better. If you do one or get one done make sure the end is lopped off. Makes the camera waaaaay lighter.

Here is the camera-

Here is an image from it. No way I would have gotten this image without the Polaroid conversion. Light was disappearing.I needed to run back to the car, grab a camera then get back to the Saguaro. Just made it before the sun set. Did my best guesstimate on the exposure and shot it. Handheld... Not even a Grafmatic was fast enough to make a second exposure.

J
    Beautiful! I roamed all over AZ with my Super G and am going to look into these conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    The absolute nicest rangefinder camera I've ever used, any format, was the Kalart Press camera with the built-in focuspot. Unfortunately it only came in 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 (?). I would take one of those over the Leica M2 I used for a couple of years.
    I shot a 3x4 for awhile as well as a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4. I actually still have film holders for both. I also shot a RB IN 3X4 which was a nice camera but the low angle was not my style. I was lucky to get one with good speeds tho. Fun cameras all but I love the bigger neg, even tho that Poloroid conversion is tempting if I could make one.

PRJ, I did several conversions of Polaroid 110s following "Option8's" guide, https://www.instantoptions.com/how-to/. My cameras are set up to shoot pack film, but assume the process is similar for a 4x5 film back. These cameras and their images are simply stunning!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaroid110bConversion_lowres.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	202453 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martin_Fujiroid_Lerman_lowres.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	202455
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EmpireFujiroid.jpg  

I built a Polaroid conversion about eight years ago, but ultimately did not enjoy using it. I believe the medium format competition is better - what they lack in image size, they make up for in handling and operational speed. Mamiya 7, Makina 67, Fuji GF670 and GW series are much better cameras for this style of shooting, in my opinion. I have never used a Chamonix Saber but would really like to.

I got rid of the anatomical grip for my Linhof Tech V, but added a hand strap and kept the rangefinder and viewfinder. I usually want to be more meticulous in composition with this camera but it's nice to have the option of handheld shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    LOL

I see the MT has gone up in price about $3K.

OP has disappeared, but if you come back, I suggest you take a look at the Polaroid conversions closely. Listen to those that actually use the camera (and are active LF shooters), not ex-dealers. It may not work for you, but it may be just what you need.

The combined VF/RF is a better experience than my Linhof MT...
    I am just seeing this thread again after these couple of weeks and this cracks me up...

I spent around $300 to do my friends conversion. Mine was far less since I used parts from a few cheap cameras, so maybe a hundred bucks?

Bob just has no clue....

Quote Originally Posted by slerman View Post
    PRJ, I did several conversions of Polaroid 110s following "Option8's" guide, https://www.instantoptions.com/how-to/. My cameras are set up to shoot pack film, but assume the process is similar for a 4x5 film back. These cameras and their images are simply stunning!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaroid110bConversion_lowres.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	202453 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martin_Fujiroid_Lerman_lowres.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	202455
    Looks like you did a heck of a good job on that!

I built my cameras at the worst times. The first one I built was a Polaroid 250 with a Schneider lens to shoot 665. Then 665 was discontinued. So I upsized. Then 55 disappeared too...

If you've made one with a Polaroid back, all you have to do is attach a 4x5 back (centered of course) to the Polaroid back and adjust the lens backwards. It is pretty simple to do but takes a lot of time to get it all right. I'd encourage you to do it. You can still shoot Polaroid peel apart film with a Polaroid back. The camera looks kind of funny with a second Polaroid back on it though. I used a Sinar back on the ones I built but they have to be machined so you probably wouldn't want to go that route. I think a Horseman back would work.

Put a Grafmatic back on it and go to town. Easy peasy!