Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangefinder Cameras

Re: Rangefinder Cameras

X-Ray film

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    You REALLY think somebody is going to cut sheets of film for a 35mm rangefinder? Come on.

I’m just being a smart as because somebody couldn’t be bothered to read the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tin Can

Again, are you seriously suggesting somebody cut x-ray film to be able to load a 35mm camera with a single exposure? That’s firmly in the category of “you could but why?”

-Chris

Why not?

My Draft Age grandchildren could use my stock for the rest of their lives

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1544438

Again, are you seriously suggesting somebody cut x-ray film to be able to load a 35mm camera with a single exposure? That’s firmly in the category of “you could but why?”

Tin Can

I will add, that was not my idea, but read it on Denise Ross fascinating website

http://www.thelightfarm.com/
    Tin Can

I use a Polaroid 900 converted by Alpenhaus, with a 150mm Fuji lens. I had to send it back once to get the RF adjusted, but since then it has worked well. The back will take Grafmatics, which I use, as opposed to holders. My assessment is that these cameras were originally set up for vertical use, portraits, with the focus knob falling naturally on the right side of the bed. Alpenhaus rigs a cable release to the left side of the camera for handholding, which kind of makes sense, but the camera was too heavy for me to use it comfortably handheld in this way, so I have jury-rigged one on the top right. I have also simply tripped the shutter by hand. That said, these are heavy cameras and I am happiest using mine on a tripod. If the primary goal is handholding (which the OP says not) then I would go with one of the Graphic or Bush cameras set up for this purpose. But if you want a strong camera with a rangefinder to use on a tripod, the 900 has worked well for me, Hope this helps.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Chamonix Saber with 120mm apo-symmar is another option.

I built a Speed Graphic with a top rangefinder that has the cam for a 127mm lens, and then modified it to add a Kalart rangefinder on the side, adjusted for an 8-1/2" Ilex Paragon. I think it might have worked, and Polaroids looked good, but when I had the opportunity to make photos using 4x5, the Sinar calls to me. Ditto the Travelwide, of which I have two (65 and 90mm), but, of course, no integrated rangefinder. I did, though, install supplemental rangefinders for those. Maybe with the lock-down, I'll pull some film out of the freezer and give it a go. With my past travel schedule, I've been very limited in what I can do.

Rick "who used a laser cat-toy to adjust the Kalart" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Why not?

My Draft Age grandchildren could use my stock for the rest of their lives

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1544438
    I suppose you could if you really want to. I don't fancy spending my time cutting up film in the dark. I'll pay for that fancy new film that rolls up.
    -Chris

An influential book for me was a 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' but I also like Asimov, 'Foundation Series'

I chose to be tinker a long time ago...no regrets

my real job is gadfly

ymmv

I suppose you could if you really want to. I don't fancy spending my time cutting up film in the dark. I'll pay for that fancy new film that rolls up.
    Tin Can

I built a 4x5 Polaroid conversion about 17 years ago. Made it from several different cameras. Basically it is a Polaroid 110b with a 135 Symmar and a Sinar back. I made it to have something portable and fast. And it works perfectly for that. I'd like to make another one someday and do it perfect. I built one for a friend that was perfect and I wish I had it myself. The one I have has been reworked a couple of times and even took a shot to the snout faceplanting on a windy day when it was blown over while sitting on a tripod. Still works though. I don't know why anyone would want to carry around a Linhof or a Speed Graphic. The Polaroid conversion is so much better. If you do one or get one done make sure the end is lopped off. Makes the camera waaaaay lighter.

Here is the camera-

Here is an image from it. No way I would have gotten this image without the Polaroid conversion. Light was disappearing.I needed to run back to the car, grab a camera then get back to the Saguaro. Just made it before the sun set. Did my best guesstimate on the exposure and shot it. Handheld... Not even a Grafmatic was fast enough to make a second exposure.