Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice for new 210 lens for 4x5

Choice for new 210 lens for 4x5

I have following lenses: 90mm, 150mm, 300mm. A 210mm would fill the gap between 150 an 300.

Now the shop not far from where I live has following models:
    210/5.6 Sironar-S
    210/5.6 Nikon-W
    210/5.6 Sironar-N MC

The prices of the lenses are all somehow in the same price range.
    What would you recommend ?

Patrick

Re: Choice for new 210 lens for 4x5

I've stood by my trusty Sironar-N MC (for both 4x5 and 5x7) since I got it new as a "dealer's special" back in the late 1980's (from who...Art Doxer - or maybe even Bob?). At any rate, I've never truly felt the need to move to anything else, even as I've lately been printing very large (up to 40x60). Furthermore, I believe that the design of this lens is slightly more biased towards a bit closer focus distance than is the Sironar-S - which, for my uses, makes it a bit more useful overall. I also figure that atmospheric conditions could render the "S" version's small bit of extra resolution at longer distances moot. Plus, I often shoot at or near diffraction-limited apertures anyway. I also like the fact that the 67mm filter size is compatible with my 90mm and 305mm lenses (Grandagon and G-Claron).

Having said the above...if I did feel compelled to change things up, and if I could swing the $$...I would take a very serious look at the Sironar-S. From everything I've heard and read about this lens - it sounds amazing!

Edit...just noticed that you'd mentioned "all in the same price range." Is the Sironar S in as good condition as the other two? If so, it might be a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I've stood by my trusty Sironar-N MC (for both 4x5 and 5x7) since I got it new as a "dealer's special" back in the late 1980's (from who...Art Doxer - or maybe even Bob?). At any rate, I've never truly felt the need to move to anything else, even as I've lately been printing very large (up to 40x60). Furthermore, I believe that the design of this lens is slightly more biased towards a bit closer focus distance than is the Sironar-S - which, for my uses, makes it a bit more useful overall. I also figure that atmospheric conditions could render the "S" version's small bit of extra resolution at longer distances moot. Plus, I often shoot at or near diffraction-limited apertures anyway. I also like the fact that the 67mm filter size is compatible with my 90mm and 305mm lenses (Grandagon and G-Claron).

Having said the above...if I did feel compelled to change things up, and if I could swing the $$...I would take a very serious look at the Sironar-S. From everything I've heard and read about this lens - it sounds amazing!

Edit...just noticed that you'd mentioned "all in the same price range." Is the Sironar S in as good condition as the other two? If so, it might be a bargain!
    Probably from Arthur as he was my rep in NE.

The Apo Sironar S, there has never been a Sironar S, was corrected for 1:10 giving optimal performance from 1:5 to infinity.
    The Apo Sironar N was corrected for 1:20 giving optimal performance from 1:10 to infinity.

So the S performs better at closer range, as well at infinity.

All of the Apo Sironar series lenses were MC.

The Apo Sironar N MC was replaced by the APO Sironar N.

So, is the dealer selling the Sinaron S or the Apo Sironar S? Two different lenses!
    Is he selling the Apo Sironar N or the Sironar N MC? Two different, but similar lenses.

Bob...I stand corrected - thanks!

And FYI...I worked at the Camera Shop in Hanover, NH, from 1980-85, selling photo gear, handling repairs, and writing advertising. Decent gig during what were still the good old days!

Bob,
    As I can see from his website, the lenses have no ‘Apo’ in the name, other lenses have it sometimes. So I gues Sironar-N MC.

210/5.6 Sironar-S -> 499Eur
    210/5.6 Nikon-W -> 359Eur
    210/5.6 Sironar-N MC -> 349Eur
    All have the same condition.

At that price I’d jump on the Sironar S, all things being equal.

The Sinaron-S is a Sironar-N which had an extra quality check before shipping. Most valuable when new in my view. Check out the filter diameter. The Nikkor-w came with 77 and 67mm. 77mm is better for 8x10" when adding filters.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Bob...I stand corrected - thanks!

And FYI...I worked at the Camera Shop in Hanover, NH, from 1980-85, selling photo gear, handling repairs, and writing advertising. Decent gig during what were still the good old days!
    You probably got it from Art and I would have signed off on an employee purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Bob,
    As I can see from his website, the lenses have no ‘Apo’ in the name, other lenses have it sometimes. So I gues Sironar-N MC.

210/5.6 Sironar-S -> 499Eur
    210/5.6 Nikon-W -> 359Eur
    210/5.6 Sironar-N MC -> 349Eur
    All have the same condition.
    Ask him to show you a picture of the lens barrel. The Apo Sironar N and the Apo Sironar S have a colored stripe around the barrel. The Apo N silver and the Apo S red.

Hello Patrik,

I have a Sironar-N MC 210/5.6 that I use mainly for portraits. I love it, I can say it is a very good lens.
    I used it many times at full aperture on Ilford FP4 and I'm very happy with the results.