Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing bags and dust

Changing bags and dust

I am a 5x7 newbie. I was on a very long road trip and shot 150 sheets of 5x7. At night in the motel I reloaded the holders with a new large size Harrison bag I bought for the trip. I am processing the film now and a dozen sheets into it noticed more dust I am used to with 4x5. For smaller formats up to 4x5 I use the typical cheapish Kalt and generic equivalents and dust was never a huge issue. Because the changing bag is so light and small I can navigate my arms to keep the fabric from touching the film. Not so the Harrison. I suppose I’ll have to use the Harrison Tent next time. Else I’ll bring duct tape and seal off the hotel bathroom to make sure it’s light tight.

What do experienced LF photographers do while on the road? The tent I suppose.

Re: Changing bags and dust

I always use a small changing tent. What kind of dust problems? Pinhole type issues?

I see little specks whenever there is open sky otherwise they get hidden in the details. I shoot HP5 and it isn’t emulsion defect.

If I'm traveling with a changing bag, I'll forego its use when in motel rooms by utilizing its bathroom as a film-loading/unloading room - having carefully black-taped around door openings, laying everything out in front of me on a wiped/dried down counter space, shutting the lights off, and waiting patiently for about three minutes so that I can dark-adapt sufficiently to verify actual darkness prior to opening any dark slides.

Another thing...when I do find myself having to use my changing bag, and especially when in dry environments - I will typically apply (sparingly!) some skin moisturizer to my arms (after washing my hands an arms if possible) prior to using the bag, but am very careful to then thoroughly wash and dry my hands again...just before entering the bag. This helps mitigate at least some "dust" (actually small flakes of skin) issues.

Finally...occasionally turning your changing bag inside out and giving it a thorough wipe-down with a very slightly damp cloth, then turning it right side in just as it becomes dry, can also help.

...but nothing helps like avoiding the use of a changing bag whenever possible!

I wanted to use the bathroom at one point to change film but realized towels on the floor wouldn’t be enough because light was seeping through the door frame. Next time I’ll bring duct tape. Good tip about the moisturiser. Thanks!

...just make sure its black duct tape - and depending on the brand you might need two layers. I typically bring a roll of photo-black tape, but as duct tape is more generally useful this can be made to work.

Use black gafffers tape. Better than duct tape and won't peel paint off or leave residue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    I was on a very long road trip and shot 150 sheets of 5x7. At night in the motel I reloaded the holders with a new large size Harrison bag I bought for the trip. I am processing the film now and a dozen sheets into it noticed more dust I am used to with 4x5.
    Par for the course I think. Dust is the enemy we can't defeat. All we can hope for is to diminish it.

My prep for road trips used to include cleaning my Harrison -- I'd take the Harrison into my darkroom with a clean damp lint-free cloth and wipe down the inside, then leave it in the darkroom to dry. Often made multiple passes.

On the road I'd make all possible attempts to keep dirt out of the Harrison. First thing I'd do was wash my hands. Then I'd setup the Harrison (leaving it zipped), and get out my film boxes and filmholders (leaving all these in their bags -- that is, in quart sized freezer bags (4x5 fits fine, you'll have to find bags with work for your 5x7 gear). First rule is, film holders never touch anything other than the camera, my right hand (I'm right handed of course), the inside of a freezer bag, or the inside of the Harrison. Never lay them down anywhere else.

All that done, I'd go take a shower (which I needed anyway after a long day hiking), leaving the bathroom door open. Paid special attention to my arms and hands getting them really clean, they are a source of dust otherwise. The point of the open door was to raise the humidity in the room, to give dust something to attach too, which then settles to the floor. Clear the air as it were.

Then I'd towel off, put on a pair of shorts, sit in front of the Harrison, unzip it, and load it with a box of unexposed film (or two, as needed), a box for exposed film, and the film holders which I'd remove from the freezer bag and place in the Harrison, never letting them touch anything else. Zip the Harrison closed. Insert arms, snug everything up, and do the film change dance.

A variation I started doing later on was to unload film, then pull back out of the Harrison, clean the empty film holders in the room (not the Harrison), put them back in the Harrison, and do the film load half of the dance. This seemed to be slightly more effective. That is, I cleaned off a bit more dust than I introduced. But it's different at every location; I wasn't convinced that this worked better or not.

Then I'd pull everything back out of the Harrison, putting the film holders back in freezer bags one by one as they came out, same for the film boxes, zip up the Harrison, take it all down, put it away.

In this anal-retentive way I was able to keep dust to a minimum on my film. Not quite as good as the darkroom back home, but acceptably good for me.

All that said, it's a royal PITA. Kodak Readyloads were the cure. I mourned them when that last box was gone, that's for sure.

Bruce Watson

I have at times just put my changing bag into the washing macvhine and dryer. In the past twenty years, I may have done this 3-4 times.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

A shop vac with a drywall dust bag and brush attachment works well for cameras, holders, changing bags, cases etc... Bag the things you clean ASAP, and don’t put anything down someplace that harbors debris (including pockets, near linty clothes etc)...

Steve K