Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disinfecting Film, Cameras and other Photographic Equipment from Viruses

Re: Disinfecting Film, Cameras and other Photographic Equipment from Viruses

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    If you're worried, just let the package sit in the sun for a day or so. I'm not that worried.

Kent in SD
    You live in SD. I live in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    FWIW, I received a shipment of darkroom chemicals and paper from B&H last Friday. I opened the cardboard shipping packages on the doorstep, left the cartons to “age,” and washed my hands. I’ve left the paper (cardboard packed) and chemicals (plastic containers inside plastic bags) just inside the door. I’m giving them a full 3 days to sit. On Tuesday or so I will take the chemicals out of the bags, bags into recycling bin, probably still give the plastic containers a quick light spray of disinfectant, and then put them into the darkroom where they will be ready for use. Is this all necessary? Who knows, but approaching a 73rd birthday, there’s no penalty for being cautious.
    Hi Pete: I like the idea of leaving it for three days but I'm not a patient guy. I have been putting rubber gloves on and opening the carton in the garage. Then throwing the carton directly into the garbage can where no one will touch it again. Then I either spray the contents with 91% alcohol or disinfectant like Lysol. Then I drop the gloves right into the garbage can. But you can't use Lysol or alcohol on film or camera supplies. 3 days sounds good.

as well as the Lensrental link, which is spot on, I'm using Spray Nine™ on my bag and car. This product is rated for H1N1, MERS etc., and iirc, has been given the ok from Canada Health, to deal with SARS-CoV-2. I'm currently using alcohol wipes on my cameras, but will use Spray Nine when I run out of wipes.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

My wife is trying to scare me away from buying camera equipment. I ordered some Fuji E6 chemistry from Unique in NJ, right in the heart of the outbreak. I'm careful, but I don't want these guys to go broke, and I will need something to keep me busy. I unpack stuff put it away, put the cardboard in the pile in the garage, then really give my hands a good scrubbing. The levels of virus are low on this kind of stuff. It's the delivery people, and postal employees, that are meeting sick people, that, like so many others, that are in the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    What about disinfecting camera equipment and other photographic supplies you've ordered?
    Sars-CoV-2 virus survives for longer on cardboard – up to 24 hours – and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless-steel surfaces.

> The internal content of the parcel has not been contaminated during the shipping time, so if parcel was sent 4 days ago then any potential contamination inside is probably inactive, but it depends on the temperature the parcel has been, in very low temperature virus survives better.

> Most of the hazard may come on the external packaging, face masks with valve do not filter the output (those masks breathe easier but they require an additional surgical mask on them to not spread contamination around, still we have not learned that) so people handling the parcel could have contaminated the outside of the parcel, even in the case they were using a mask with valve, so external packaging may have been contaminated recently.

> Treat the external packaging as if it was contaminated, get rid of it ASAP, wash well your hands after touching it, or store it in a safe (hot) place for several days before touching it.

Anyway, for the content:

"research has shown that coronaviruses can be inactivated within a minute by disinfecting surfaces with 62-71% alcohol, or 0.5% hydrogen peroxide bleach or household bleach containing 0.1% sodium hypochlorite. Higher temperatures and humidity also tend to result in other coronaviruses dying quicker, although research has shown that a related coronavirus that causes Sars could be killed by temperatures above 56°C"

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...st-on-surfaces.

uvc steralizing lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My high intensity UV light box now in daily non-photographic use. Groceries, gloves, mask, hands, etc. all get exposed to its light. Also have a handheld UV light source that is used on everything else including my car's steering wheel, door handles, knobs, etc.
    This might be of interest.
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-with-uv-light

Drew Wiley

I use denatured alcohol. Technically, it's not pure enough, but then I set the product aside a few days and dispose of the shipping carton. Bleaches can mess up equipment or photosensitive materials. I'm really more worried about the mail carrier touching one mailbox after another, as well as handling all kinds of things that go in them. Parcel carriers via Amazon or UPS are even more a risk because they might be forced to keep working if mildly sick. Many parcel drivers are independent subcontractors with no benefits or paid sickleave whatsoever; so I'm particularly cautious with those kinds of packages. Maybe this is poetic justice to porch parcel thieves.

Your HVAC may have a UVC element inside the ducting

Very dangerous if not used in a sealed environment, like HVAC
    Tin Can