Thread: how to remove the nameplate locking ring from a Graphex/Rapax shutter No. 2?

how to remove the nameplate locking ring from a Graphex/Rapax shutter No. 2?

I would like to change out the nameplate (faceplate) between two shutters. According to info I've seen, there are two screws that hold the nameplate on. Since I don't see the screws on the face of my shutters, I am deducing to get to these screws, I need to remove the locking ring. However, it's not clear to me how to do that.

Anyone with knowledge/experience doing this who can advise?

FWIW, here's a link to the service manual: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...terService.pdf

Thanks!
    Michael

Re: how to remove the nameplate locking ring from a Graphex/Rapax shutter No. 2?

Hmm. I have a Graphex, size unknown, in front of me. It holds a 127/4.7 Ektar. I just unscrewed the lens' front cell. uncovering a chrome ring that stands proud of the face plate. The ring has two tiny holes at opposite ends of a diameter that seem to have tiny screws in them.

Not to be a complete idiot, but have you unscrewed your lens' front cell?

Re: how to remove the nameplate locking ring from a Graphex/Rapax shutter No. 2?

Hi Dan, I'm so glad you responded. You probably know as much or more about lenses than anyone around.

Yes, I removed the front cell. Yes, I see the chrome ring (the nameplate locking ring according to the illustration on p. 17, Fig. 14 of the service manual) and the two tiny holes.

What I cannot see are two screws recessed in these holes....

If that's what's down there, then it's clear (now) what I need to do to remove the locking ring. Without seeing any screw heads, I wasn't sure if I needed a spanner wrench or some other method/tool to remove the ring.

I will try my smallest precision screwdriver and hope it works!

Thanks!

Arrrgh, not small enough.

Maybe I can find an eyeglass repair kit around here somewhere....

The ring is not on too tight, as that would bind the speed dial... Usually will come off using two opposing fingernails pushing counterclockwise...

Don't loose the thicker high speed spring that sits on a shaft that falls out if shutter face is inverted...

Steve K

Steve, not sure we are on the same page. Dan (I think) and I are referring to the chrome ring on the inside of the shutter face where the front lens cell is screwed in, not the outer chrome ring used to set the shutter speed.

Are you referring to the inner or outer ring?

I just want to get the nameplate/faceplate off. I don't want to mess with any of the inner workings of the shutter.

Please let me know if removing the two screws holding the nameplate on will affect the shutter in any other way.

Thanks!

Inner, under the lens mount... Careful, as to outer dial will want to come off easily...

Steve K

Okay, thanks!

Any recommendation for how to find a screwdriver small enough to fit?

Michael, when I looked at the thing with the naked eye I thought I saw slotted screws. Just took out a stereo microscope and looked again. No slots, not screws. I put the tip of my Swiss Army knife's awl in one of the holes, pushed gently and the ring turned. Sorry for the misinformation.

Go to work!

Great! Thanks Dan. Too late today; I’ll get to work on it tomorrow!