Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on why my film washer is not working?

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Any thoughts on why my film washer is not working?

The hose diameter is too large. First use a smaller diameter hose. Be sure it is as long below the container as possible to increase the drain flow so that it will drain faster than the water coming in. If that doesn't work you will then have to add height to the container.

Peter

I don't believe that the problem is an air leak. Nor do I believe the tubing is too large. I think the tubing has to allow for a larger outflow of water than inflow, so a larger tube should work better than a small tube. If you turn up the faucet water pressure does the tube fill as fast as the tank? If not there is probably an obstruction. It's only when you get to the 29 sec. mark on the video, as the water in the tube reaches the apex, do you see the tank filling up faster than the tube. It makes sense that filling the tube will slow a little bit as the water begins to flow down the tube, but it should continue to rise into the tube until there's a siphon, unless there's an obstruction.
    Check the coupling where you attach the tube to the tank. Check that the tube is not resting on the bottom of the tank (restricting the flow into the tube). And check the coupler itself to see if it's internal passageway is too narrow to allow more water to exit than enter.

multiplex

if you look at the beginning of the hose the that fills you see that the hose looks like it is leaking so not enough water
    is going through into the tube so it doesn't fill enough to dump. I think that rfesk is onto something, look at that hose and see
    if it fits right or if you can get a smaller diameter. if you heat it in extremely hot water the hose gets flexible enough that you can remove
    or install it on the barbed fixture.

good luck!
    John

ps. I have the oriental version of the 4x5 washer like that, works great ! good luck getting yours to run like it was intended.

I think your tube diameter is too large. One can see in your video that the water is able to pour over the top without filling the downwards tube.
    Try a 6mm diameter tube. Of course, smaller diameter siphon means slower emptying, and you need to adjust the water input even slower. But you are in no hurry as long as you complete 3 water changes in 10-15min.

Edit. I replied after reading only page 1. Did not see similar advice on page 2. Sorry for duplicate. OTOH you seem to have a consensus on the diagnostic.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    The hose diameter is too large. First use a smaller diameter hose. Be sure it is as long below the container as possible to increase the drain flow so that it will drain faster than the water coming in. If that doesn't work you will then have to add height to the container.
    Thanks for advice! Adding height and adding more tube is the easiest way to check it. If it is not working I will change the diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    If you turn up the faucet water pressure does the tube fill as fast as the tank? If not there is probably an obstruction.
    I tried different pressure and the tube fills the same as the tank

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    Check the coupling where you attach the tube to the tank. Check that the tube is not resting on the bottom of the tank (restricting the flow into the tube). And check the coupler itself to see if it's internal passageway is too narrow to allow more water to exit than enter.
    I will, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    if you look at the beginning of the hose the that fills you see that the hose looks like it is leaking so not enough water
    is going through into the tube so it doesn't fill enough to dump. I think that rfesk is onto something, look at that hose and see
    if it fits right or if you can get a smaller diameter. if you heat it in extremely hot water the hose gets flexible enough that you can remove
    or install it on the barbed fixture.

good luck!
    John

ps. I have the oriental version of the 4x5 washer like that, works great ! good luck getting yours to run like it was intended.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    I think your tube diameter is too large. One can see in your video that the water is able to pour over the top without filling the downwards tube.
    Yes, that makes sense, thanks!

ive never had a washer such as tiurs but syphons usually work by gravity. perhaps your washer is below or not higher than the source water?

also some syphons have a check valve or flapper that controls the flow. does your have any devices anywhere in the system, maybe at a tubing end?

intake flow may also have something to do with the problem... too fast?

just for giggles... can you put a few drops of food coloring in thebtank so we can see the flow n exchange of water?

Check the drain hose for leaks (water leaks, not air). If water is getting out somewhere except the bottom of the siphon hose, that's you're problem.

If that's alright, then see if you can start the siphon by holding your finger over the end of the siphon hose for a while. If that just spills water over the top, and there are no water leaks anywhere then it has to be that the slots in the top of the washer for holding the dividers are letting too much water out and preventing the siphon from starting. In your video, you don't have all the dividers installed. You may need to have all of them in and seated well in the slots to prevent so much water from draining out over the top before the siphon action starts.

Try that and report back.

Doremus

FWIW, I have two Gravity Works film washers that work exactly the same way. There are no valves, restrictors etc., it's all passive.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Try decreasing the diameter of the bend in the tubing and see if that helps. If it flattens out it will only help.

Interesting... Pretty simple. I've used a pipette washer that functions the same way. It's a simple siphon- no valves involved. What confuses me is that the water level actually rises -above- the bend within the tank, yet the outflow from the pipe is a relatively low, certainly not filling the pipe. It should be filling the outflow pipe until the tank is emptied. The only thing I can think of is that there is a piece of film or something blocking the siphon tube, probably at the outlet at the bottom of the tank. Check that black plug to make sure the flow is unrestricted.

I think you need to increase the water flow into the tank, it seems to fill quite slowly. With better water flow the siphon tube would have a better chance of achieving a siphon. I also think that Doremus made some good points regarding the slots for the dividers. Having a higher water level in the tank should help achieve a siphon.

Roger