Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on why my film washer is not working?

Unhappy Any thoughts on why my film washer is not working?

I bought Kienzle 8x10 film washer and I can't make it work correctly, I mean it should have changed the water like here on video https://youtu.be/lwyHAtxzMpE?t=109 This one looks very similar to mine. (Watch from 1:50) You see there is that effect when the water changes. I have tried different volume of water but it is not working like that. I was trying to set it up the whole hour and nothing. If the water pressure is high then the water spills over the edge. If the water pressure is low, then the water simply spills out through the pipe and nothing happens. Here is video of my washer: https://youtu.be/bA_tYX3szJc
    Any thoughts on why my film washer is not working?
    Thanks!

Re: Any thoughts on why my film washer is not working?

Very cool design, never seen one before

It must have a clogged air hole somewhere
    Tin Can

Interesting auto dump/refill. It must work off of establishing a siphon action, then breaking it, then repeat. But I do not understand the working mechanism from what I have seen on the videos...

But I think I heard the old tale about hypo sinking to the bottom of the washer...hopefully people rinse the prints or negatives of surface fixer before putting them in such a washer.

PS -- I have always worried (probably needlessly) about having negatives out of the water that long during washing.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Between here and there

Perhaps Kienzle themselves can answer your questions? -> http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Many years ago I built a similar washer following directions in "Petersen's Photographic". It worked beautifully.
    Yours must have an air leak somewhere. Action depends on the upside down"U", filling with water as the device is filled. If there is an air leak here, I think it would not work. But, mine was at least 40-50 years ago, so my idea could be wrong.

Years ago acquired a large used Kostiner Archival Washer. Never worked all that well when I got it. Looked like everything was there when I compared it to a photograph of the washer. Finally took it apart and discovered the the previous owner had installed a "restrictor plate" inside the water inlet. The I.D. of the water inlet plexiglass was reduced from 9mm down to about 2mm. Removed it and the washer worked fine.

hmmm. I have a 4x5 Gravity works washer and it works correctly in that the tube fills, then drains the chamber. Don't use it much as I thought it used too much water. As mentioned, check everything to see if there's an air leak in the U tubing.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

He called it toilet washer, so I assume there is , or should be a valve inflicted by water flow. If the valve is stuck, nothing will happen. Or if it is not similar, yours is working as it should and nothing to worry about

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have always worried (probably needlessly) about having negatives out of the water that long during washing.
    there is a video of the same Kienzle washer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMRVB4rm-p0
    I wrote to the owner and he said that he used it just a couple of times and yes, the top of the negative gets dry

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    Perhaps Kienzle themselves can answer your questions? -> http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/
    I asked them but they didn't reply

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Action depends on the upside down"U", filling with water as the device is filled. If there is an air leak here, I think it would not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    As mentioned, check everything to see if there's an air leak in the U tubing.
    Thanks! I should check it!

toilet washer...hmmm....a special basket, with film/paper dividers, that secures to the top of the bowl. Three flushes for films...five for prints - and Bob's your uncle!