Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED enlarger head creation -- just a thought

LED enlarger head creation -- just a thought

I much admire the work of those who can design construct such items, as seen in recent postings. It's way out of my realm; I couldn't design a paper bag. However, it occurred to me as I stood before my Omega D2 the other day, that an entire box replacing the existing head might not be necessary. Could a VC light source be made that simply slides down into the round aluminum collar and sits on the diffuser, as the Aristo and Zone VI cold light heads do? It would need some kind of housing, like the cold lights, to hold whatever electronics are required for control and to block upwards light-spill, but wouldn't this simplify construction and lower cost?

I realize that I'm just talking about one enlarger here, but I bet a poll would show a lot of them in use, and perhaps the idea would apply to other enlarger designs as well.

From my standpoint, the unit would ideally have the kind of link to the Zone VI compensation enlarging timer that Paul Schrantz designed for Zone VI -- since I have the timer and need that stabilization, especially when the room air-conditioner cycles on and off in summertime. I don't know if that would be a patent issue, or if LEDs need some different kind of stabilizer/voltage regulator.

As mentioned in either my posting or private message to OP regarding the plans for a new VC LED head he has very generously shared with us, I'd prefer a wired connection to a timer, thought realizing that this would require different connections to various timers. I don't have an iOS device.

Finally, I use a foot switch to turn the time on and off, something I first read that W. Eugene Smith had rigged up, and which Zone VI included. What a difference in the ease of dodging and burning-in it makes! The Zone VI one uses a simple phone cable (UTP connector? STP?).

Okay, I'm done. I just keep hoping that someone will invent something that she or he will also build for sale, that is durable and reliable, versatile, perhaps modular/scalable or in several configurations for various popular enlargers, well-featured, and modestly priced, to replace our aging cold lights. I would guess that a Kickstarter campaign, if needed, could be a significant success.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: LED enlarger head creation -- just a thought

I have never seen an Omega, but looking at my Beseler it seems possible on this model. I would even consider it possible on mine to replace the bayonet socket inside the top cap with an LED array. Tell me, though... do PC filters work with LED's?

Stripping any existing head of internals and replacing with LED is fairly easy DIY

It is a poor business proposition

Too many variations wanted, too few sales imaginable

I broke a 5X7 Aristo Cold Lamp a few months ago, accidents do happen

It will be gutted and enhanced with LED

Sooner or later...maybe...

Don't forget MANY businesses will not survive the current Plague

We may emerge as a more DIGI world or retreat to new Dark Age
    Tin Can

I would much prefer to emerge into an analog "age of light."

I had a similar thought that adapting Intrepid Camera’s LED enlarger light source for use on my D2 might work. I would remove my ancient Aristo cold light head and simply place Intrepid’s LED light source on top of the Omega 4x5 neg. carrier. The dimensions look right, and Intrepid also offers a timer with their light. And it’s a VC-compatible light.

You might try finding an Omegalite, like those seen here; http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/.../Omegalite.htm

If more modern LEDs will give good results to variable grade papers, then you could strip out the OEM light and install several winds of both dimable cold and warm LEDs, with dim controls for each, so you can fine 'tune the light source, as some have done with cake pans and other tins.

The advantage I see is low expense in a correctly shaped head that already fits the Omegas.

My 5x7" carries one of these heads and it is a separate size than the D series enlargers, which explains my having both a D and E on my bench, one for condenser, and the other for the 5x7" Cromeaega colour head I have yet to repair and replace the current 'cold head'.

OR, you can find a large enough can, paint the inside enlarger white, install Leds, wrapping around the inside cylinder and, Using the base to meet the enlarger, take a stainless steel bowl and paint the inside whit as well, and install outside clamps, the wire flip lock/unlock type to both the cylinder and reflector dome, for easy access when and if, a fresh coat of paint is ever needed. or you replace the cylinder with a new one.

You will still need to add light-proof vents, as the LED lights do become hot in use, but other than that, you should have a decent head, when properly married to the enlarger.

I hope this is clearly written and of uses as food for thought.

IMO, Eli

that would be ideal

we need to be realistic, right now

the enemy is at the ramparts our garrison unmanned

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I would much prefer to emerge into an analog "age of light."
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Stripping any existing head of internals and replacing with LED is fairly easy DIY

It is a poor business proposition

Too many variations wanted, too few sales imaginable

I broke a 5X7 Aristo Cold Lamp a few months ago, accidents do happen

It will be gutted and enhanced with LED

Sooner or later...maybe...

Don't forget MANY businesses will not survive the current Plague

We may emerge as a more DIGI world or retreat to new Dark Age
    There is nothing easy about it. It takes special skill, know how, tools, components, and engineering to make a working, seamless LED conversion.

Heiland produces ready made, plug and play LED cold light sources for ANY and all enlargers, lead time is just a few days:
    https://www.catlabs.info/product/hei...d-light-source

They are have been doing this years, and are a good, sustainable business.

Yes they are and you are a reseller

Most here want far cheaper

I have considered buying from Heiland

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Heiland produces ready made, plug and play LED cold light sources for ANY and all enlargers, lead time is just a few days:
    https://www.catlabs.info/product/hei...d-light-source

They are have been doing this years, and are a good, sustainable business.
    Tin Can

Ebay usually has many Chromega D heads available and these are designed to replace the condensers of the D2. So the solution has already been thought out without requiring hard-to find-LED and PWM LED power supplies, etc.