Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED enlarger head creation -- just a thought

Re: LED enlarger head creation -- just a thought

I'm not familiar with the Omega D2 but looking at pictures on the internet it looks like a condensor enlarger, using a light bulb. So the easiest solution would be to replace original the ligt bulb with a regular household LED light bulb. Just make sure it is 4000K or higher. I use LED bulbs in all my enlargers and that works perfectly well. No need at all for complex / expensive modifications, Heiland modules or DIY solutions.

Ron789, the D2 was originally created as a condenser enlarger. However, Aristo's cold light head was made to replaced the 2 condenser lenses held in the aluminum collar, by removing the topmost part, which held the light bulb. Zone VI subsequently sold a similar unit, which is what I have. It has the advantage of a sensor which connects to the zone VI enlarging timer, to alter the time appropriately when voltage fluctuations change the brightness of the lamp.

My entire musing is based on replacing the cold light, fluorescent diffusion source with a relatively (if possible) elementary LED diffusion source, incorporating equivalent light-stabilization technology of some kind.

The Heiland unit, from what I can see, plugs into whatever timer one may already have, and incorporates its own light stabilizer, which would be ideal. I just can't afford it; not now, at least.
    Last edited by Ulophot; 30-Mar-2020 at 12:50.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I have wondered if it would be possible to use a Phillips Hue or similar color-changing bulb in my Beseler enlarger - currently has just the basic head with a standard Edison-base bulb. If it can programmed to produce any color - should work for MC or color pretty easily. Not certain the output will be sufficient for short print times...or how the exposure would be controlled as I believe these have to be always-on. Perhaps an app? Would save having to build anything else.

45er

All you have to do is glue this delight:

http://ussrphoto.com/WIKI/default.as...em=Vega+22+UTz

on to one of these new fangled cree torches!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Ron789, the D2 was originally created as a condenser enlarger. However, Aristo's cold light head was made to replaced the 2 condenser lenses held in the aluminum collar, by removing the topmost part, which held the light bulb. Zone VI subsequently sold a similar unit, which is what I have. It has the advantage of a sensor which connects to the zone VI enlarging timer, to alter the time appropriately when voltage fluctuations change the brightness of the lamp.

My entire musing is based on replacing the cold light, fluorescent diffusion source with a relatively (if possible) elementary LED diffusion source, incorporating equivalent light-stabilization technology of some kind.

The Heiland unit, from what I can see, plugs into whatever timer one may already have, and incorporates its own light stabilizer, which would be ideal. I just can't afford it; not now, at least.
    Ulophot,
    I really think the inexpensive enlarger kit from Intrepid is what we need. It’s an LED light source that’s VC paper compatible, and it comes with its own timer. It’s designed to be used with their cameras (to make them into enlargers), but I’m pretty sure the light source could easily replace the Aristo head on a D2.

Not super easy to replace on a Beseler or Omega due to the fact that both were basically designed for condenser stages that integrated into the upper body of the head... The add on heads usually had an issue as these had to go down the existing tubes and almost covered the neg, but usually missing the very corners on larger 4X5 negs... Above the neg stage requires re-design for proper pressure on carrier, and be close enough for full illumination...

Possible, though...

Steve K