Thread: Etsy: An On-line Gallery for Selling Prints?

Etsy: An On-line Gallery for Selling Prints?

Any one here using etsy.com to sell prints?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Etsy: An On-line Gallery for Selling Prints?

Yes I’ve sold a few via Etsy, though my store is more an outlet for dry plates.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Many also sell old exposed plates, which are very interesting on Etsy

Some are prints, but many negative plates also sold

I wonder if LF negatives may become a market item
    Tin Can

It doesn't matter what website you use, the amount of sales you get will be directly related to how much YOU market it.

Etsy won't be throwing your prints up on their front page to help you get eyes on them. A cursory Google search turned up numerous articles about how to maximize sales on Etsy. I couldn't find a general idea of how many listings are currently on Etsy, but it's probably millions, so how can you make yours stand out? Perhaps start by searching Etsy for others selling photographic prints and see how many sales they have.

Personally I think Etsy is more a market for crafty and smaller stuff - crocheted items, patches/pins, stickers, home goods, etc., as well as vintage items and such like the plates mentioned above. Also I think Etsy sellers tend to follow trends - such as right now, everything being Animal Crossing related on their front page (new video game released last week).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

All good stuff . . .thanks. I understand that outside marketing is a key. My wife's pottery might be a better "crafty" fit for this site. Jusr doing a search for "Pottery" brings up the kind of things she creates.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

LF negatives, generally speaking, are just a bigger waste of film. It's the image that counts. Unless the negative is from a famous dead photographer with some provenance. But even then the prints would not be usable without guarantee of end of copyright.

My mother sells quite bit of vintage and crafty stuff there. The longer time intervals and simpler pricing make it more attractive than ebay. She does not care if it takes months to sell something when it has been sitting unused for decades.

LF negatives a commodity? Could be . . .but not for a while I think. In a segment of the Ken Burns documentary I recall hearing that after the war, hundreds of thousands of glass negatives were used to make green houses across the country. I don't clearly remember, but my impression is that back in the 1980s the market for glass negatives, tintypes and Daguerreotypes was much less active then it is now. film is not looked on as a dead or totally obsolete medium just yet.

Who knows? Negatives of any format or emulsion type may one day be viewed as delicate and ephemeral antique artifacts. I think tht day will com . . . e but not for a while.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post

Who knows? Negatives of any format or emulsion type may one day be viewed as delicate and ephemeral antique artifacts.
    oh man.. I got a goldmine in my closet then

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    LF negatives a commodity? Could be . . .but not for a while I think. In a segment of the Ken Burns documentary I recall hearing that after the war, hundreds of thousands of glass negatives were used to make green houses across the country. I don't clearly remember, but my impression is that back in the 1980s the market for glass negatives, tintypes and Daguerreotypes was much less active then it is now. film is not looked on as a dead or totally obsolete medium just yet.

Who knows? Negatives of any format or emulsion type may one day be viewed as delicate and ephemeral antique artifacts. I think tht day will com . . . e but not for a while.
    Case in point: https://www.etsy.com/listing/7881594...search_click=1