Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Intrepid "Black" Edition 4x5 Camera - No Plywood! Also...

Re: New Intrepid "Black" Edition 4x5 Camera - No Plywood! Also...

Very glad to hear you enjoyed my video. I'll be making some more in the future, probably a "What 4x5 Should I Buy?" kind of video and one detailing my results with the Intrepid after more use.

Good luck with the enlarger kit. While their solution wasn't something I was interested in, owning 3 4x5 Beseler enlargers, a stand-alone 8x10 head would be of great interest to me, so I look forward to seeing such a product come to fruition in the future, hopefully. I have the beat-up carcass of an 8x10 Calumet ready and waiting to build an 8x10 enlarger out of, I just haven't had the time or inclination to do it yet, but I want to. I have a large area in the basement adjacent to my darkroom that I think a horizontal 8x10 enlarger would fit perfectly in...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Intrepid Camera

The Reason I suggested WD-40 or a similar light oiling product was because you need something to penetrate the tiny gap between the retaining ring and the plastic mount at the back of the base, lithium grease or similar wouldn't have worked as well. sounds like you had something that was light enough to do this Corran and I am very glad it has made your focusing much smoother which is great.

As a side note, the Intrepid 4x5 Black Edition is now available to purchase again via our website, https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/black-edition-4x5

Best, Max

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Intrepid announced a new, anodized alumin(i)um camera:

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/black-edition-4x5
    Just ordered mine today as my first large format camera.

Corran: I have a couple of questions for you: 1) Does the front of the focusing bed show in the view when using your 90mm lens? 2) What would be a good 90mm lens/lensboard recommendation for this camera? Thank you for the YouTube vid!

No it does not. This seems to be a common question but not sure why, have others had that problem? I can’t see how it’d be possible with any 90mm lens.

Any 90mm lens for 4x5 from Nikon, Fuji, Schneider, or Rodenstock will be fine. A recessed lens board is nice to have but not necessary. IMO, avoid the Linhof recessed boards. My favorite is by Gaorsi.

No it does not. This seems to be a common question but not sure why, have others had that problem? I can’t see how it’d be possible with any 90mm lens.
    The reason I asked this question is because I ran into this video while doing research about this camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HB7rzgED1M&t=1343s and fast-forward to around 18:56. I'm on the fence about buying this camera and although I have a Cambo SC-2 I have never owned a field camera.

Any 90mm lens for 4x5 from Nikon, Fuji, Schneider, or Rodenstock will be fine. A recessed lens board is nice to have but not necessary. IMO, avoid the Linhof recessed boards. My favorite is by Gaorsi.
    Thank you for this information.

I have enjoyed your review and video Corran. Thank you for taking the time to do it.

I have been happy with my Kickstarter Intrepid and I am glad that I have it. It has been a big part of my large format life.

Now...maybe a can of flat black spray paint???
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MCDJ View Post
    The reason I asked this question is because I ran into this video while doing research about this camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HB7rzgED1M&t=1343s and fast-forward to around 18:56. I'm on the fence about buying this camera and although I have a Cambo SC-2 I have never owned a field camera.
    Ah, I see! Yes, many cameras (like the Chamonix, and that camera he shows) have sliding rear standards enabling wider lenses to be used, and which can facilitate not getting the front bed in view. I believe the design of the Intrepid makes this problem practically impossible, though I don't doubt someone with some combination of lens / lens board has been able to do it. There is only so much you can drop the front standard, and when I shot a sheet a couple weeks ago with it as far down as possible, in vertical orientation, I didn't see the front standard.

That said, you also can't use anything really "ultrawide" on the Intrepid as-is, so that is an important consideration. Someone on the forum has made a special "adapter" to get wider lenses on, which may then have issues with the front bed in some situations.

I would recommend the Intrepid highly, with the understanding that it's not a "perfect" camera and nor is it the best tool for everything, but it's certainly a very nice camera, IMO.

Thanks AuditorOne!

Quote Originally Posted by MCDJ View Post
    The reason I asked this question is because I ran into this video while doing research about this camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HB7rzgED1M&t=1343s and fast-forward to around 18:56.
    I enjoy David's videos, but my personal opinion is that this is theoretical, rather than empirical. I have a 105, rather than a 90mm, but on my 4x5 (Chamonix-- which does have movable rear standard, but I left it fixed for this), in the normal position, I had to have a light about 12" in front of the camera for it to show up in the ground glass.

With the front standard at maximum fall, the light could be seen an inch or so in front of the camera. However, this is a moderately rare occurrence, and you should be able to angle the camera base down, and tilt both standards backwards, so they remain vertical. Similarly, while tilting the camera backwards and setting the standards vertical can cause issues, but you're probably going to use a fair bit of rise in that case as well.

It can be an issue, but it's such a minor edge case, with workarounds, that I wouldn't let it stop you from buying the camera.

Or, you could check out the Chroma Carbon Adventurer, which does have a movable rear standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    You made a great choice. The F2 is straight forward and easy to learn on plus you can do anything you want with it. It's also light weight for a monorail so easier to take out into the field. The "F" in F2 stands for field.

For your second camera you may want to look at a Crown Graphic. They are inexpensive and very sturdy. Yes, they are limited in movements but you have the F2 for when you need them.

Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for the welcome, and sorry that I'm a 'bit' late for my reply!

Recently I went to the forest with the F2. An eight km circuit. It wasn't a big problem. The backpack is about 16.5kg. The heaviest component is the wooden Berlebach tripod, which I bought for the F2. I also had a Rolleicord around my neck, for those shots in between. But a light 4x5 camera would be nice for more exploratory trips, when I don't know if I'll really use it.

Over in the US, its home market, you can probably find cheap Crown Graphics. Here in Germany they are more exotic and priced accordingly. And I don't really want to sacrifice the movements. I've come to like it. Shifts are straight forward, swings will require some more experimentation.

While expensive wooden cameras look really lovely, IMHO the Intrepid has quite a charming look. With the 5x7 model coming soon that would be yet another option. I could make some nice contact prints. I even have a box of 5x7 Fomalux matte RC contact paper. I initially bought it for 4x5 pinhole negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I chose a Deardorff V5 for my first camera and the Sinar F2 as my second. I own 3 F2 4x5's, the first bought some 20 years ago for architectural work, and the other two bought recently for spares/parts. The two recent ones ran around $350 ea, which was a bargain in comparison to what I paid for the first one. I used the F2 in the field for architectural work and it never let me down. I had an adapter made to allow me to use the classic lenses for the V5 on the F2. Modern lenses from 58mm to 300 mm were mounted on Sinar boards. It's a Great camera, you won't regret it. Instead of the enlarger add-on, you may want to look at a dedicated 4x5 enlarger. They're largely being given away in many areas. Look on Craig's list and for ads in you area! L
    Yes, I'm really happy that I invested into the F2. I have a three lens set with a 4.5/75mm Nikkor-SW, a 5.6/150mm Fujinon and a like new single coated 240mm Apo-Ronar in Compur shutter on a Linhof branded lensboard. If they weren't mounted on the small Technika boards I'd run out of space in the backpack. Would also fit nicely on the Intrepid. I also have a full compendium using an extra standard and the roller curtains. Looks mean when fully setup.

What I noticed, though, is that the 150mm lens is quite short for the standard bellows. They only allow minimal movements. I assume that tapered bellows, like the Intrepids, are very much different in their flexibility? Luckily I have the wide angle bellows.

Craigs list is pretty much non existent here, Ebay Classifieds has cornered that market. Both there and on Ebay suitable desktop 4x5 Enlargers (so basicallay LPL and Durst 1200) are in short supply. Usually start at €700 and up into the thousands. Any 4x5 enlargers, in fact.

Thats good to hear. I realise that my 75mm is too wide for comfortable use on any field camera. But I was planning to get a 90mm, eventually, anyway.