Thread: Help Needed Please. How do I mount this DDS so that I can pull out the dark slide?

Question Help Needed Please. How do I mount this DDS so that I can pull out the dark slide?

Hello.

Noob here, both to the forum and to Large Format, although I have been using a Linhof Super Technika III (6x9) as the 'gateway drug' for six months or so.

I've just (perhaps foolishly) purchased a rather beautiful but mystifying camera made by Gilles-Faller, probably in the 1950s from what I can gather. I think it may be a plate camera but I'd like to shoot sheet film in it. It's 5" x 7" (or perhaps 13 x 18cm). [First pic, below]

It came with one rather funky DDS that doesn't look original and is a bit of a squeeze. I cannot for the life of me figure out how one might remove the interior dark slide once it's attached to the camera. [Second pic, below]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	204800

Name:	s-l1600 (4).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	204801

Name:	DSC_0126.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	204802

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	204803

There is a back that fits on the camera with ground glass panel that flips out of the way to receive a DDS. But once the DDS is attached you can't access the inner dark slide to remove it - there are wood 'borders' covering access to the darkslide on both sides. Although they look like they could be removed - the borders are in separate little strips - these borders are screwed and glued, so aren't designed to just disattach. [Third pic, above]

While its a beautiful thing, I didn't buy it to look at it. I'd like to use it, so I'm not above modifying stuff if needs be. The bellows will need replacing in any case.

Any advice gratefully received. I may well be overlooking something straightforward. Note that the camera also came with a strange sliding attachment but that seems to be for shooting smaller film perhaps. [Fourth pic, above]

thanks,
    Sam

Re: Help Needed Please. How do I mount this DDS so that I can pull out the dark slide

This picture shows the problem a little more clearly, apologies that it's rotated, I've no idea why:

Name:	DSC_0125.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	204834

you can see that the inner slide is obstructed. I had a look from the inside. If I knock out one of the borders to access the darkslide then there will be a leak with this particular holder, but perhaps not with a more modern holder with a slimmer slide hole?

I've attached my lens and I'm seeing the 5x7 glass image for the first time. It's incredibly bright compared to the Linhof Super Technicka III and I can see it even without a dark clot.! The movements are also an absolute joy - really fine craftsmanship. Just don't know how I'll use it to take a photo

Name:	DSC_0129.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	204836
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0127.jpg