Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed with Wollensak f:4, 11.5 inch Verito

Re: Help needed with Wollensak f:4, 11.5 inch Verito

As an update, I purchased a SINAR 140mm Converting SINAR Shutter adapter plate on eBay, it look like it should attach to the Sinar board on my Ebony.
    Then, I purchased a complete Sinar x with a Sinar/Copal shutter. It looks like one of the more recent shutters because it goes down to f4 instead of 5.6. I bought the kit for about the price of what shutters appear to be going for.

Now I need to find a Sinar board with the right size hole and it looks like I’ll need to create a spacer because the lens extends about 1/4in psat the flange and will run into the shutter.

I still have a lot to figure out but I think I’m getting there, my wallet is getting thinner anyway!

www.timeandlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    As an update, I purchased a SINAR 140mm Converting SINAR Shutter adapter plate on eBay, it look like it should attach to the Sinar board on my Ebony.
    Then, I purchased a complete Sinar x with a Sinar/Copal shutter. It looks like one of the more recent shutters because it goes down to f4 instead of 5.6. I bought the kit for about the price of what shutters appear to be going for.

Now I need to find a Sinar board with the right size hole and it looks like I’ll need to create a spacer because the lens extends about 1/4in psat the flange and will run into the shutter.

I still have a lot to figure out but I think I’m getting there, my wallet is getting thinner anyway!

www.timeandlight.com
    With big lenses that will give you the effect you're wanting remember that the size of the Sinar Copal will act as a choke. So if the glass area of the Verito is 2.85 inches, and you use a shutter with a 2 inch hole . . . you've sort of got a mess. The Packard really is the best solution, and it's also the one that generations of photographers used successfully when that lens was new and for generations beyond that. Do yourself a favor and get one and learn how to use it.

With practice it can give you 1/20th or slightly better, and everything slower than that. Read my description on operating one near the end of my article here. Most of the images on my web pages have been made just that way. The same way everybody did it 100 years ago.

That one I linked you to with 3 1/2" opening is the same as the one installed in my old Kodak 2D 8X10. 3 1/2" is enough for almost anything you can cobble onto a 6X6 lens board. I use it with lenses up to 16" focus. I'm no relation to who ever that seller is. If you buy a Packard, ask some of us here first if it's "the right one" as they came in all sizes and flavors.

The guys a hundred years ago never thought twice about it. It was all they had, and we have the thousands of photos they made with them to prove it. I'm happy to try to help. My email is on my front page.

+1 on using a Packard shutter. You can always get a couple of square plastic Neutral Density filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    With big lenses that will give you the effect you're wanting remember that the size of the Sinar Copal will act as a choke. So if the glass area of the Verito is 2.85 inches, and you use a shutter with a 2 inch hole . . . you've sort of got a mess. The Packard really is the best solution, and it's also the one that generations of photographers used successfully when that lens was new and for generations beyond that. Do yourself a favor and get one and learn how to use it.

With practice it can give you 1/20th or slightly better, and everything slower than that. Read my description on operating one near the end of my article here. Most of the images on my web pages have been made just that way. The same way everybody did it 100 years ago.

That one I linked you to with 3 1/2" opening is the same as the one installed in my old Kodak 2D 8X10. 3 1/2" is enough for almost anything you can cobble onto a 6X6 lens board. I use it with lenses up to 16" focus. I'm no relation to who ever that seller is. If you buy a Packard, ask some of us here first if it's "the right one" as they came in all sizes and flavors.

The guys a hundred years ago never thought twice about it. It was all they had, and we have the thousands of photos they made with them to prove it. I'm happy to try to help. My email is on my front page.
    Thanks Jim, although now I feel like a total idiot (not a new revelation). I just measured my 11.5 in Verito and it’s like 3.5 in, I have no idea how large my Sinar/Copal shutter will be but probably not that big, crap. I wasn’t finding anything on eBay or the forum for decent looking Packard shutter, and all the cool kids were mounting barrel lenses to Sinar shutters.

I also wasn’t in love with the idea of front mounting a shutter but, maybe that’s the way to go.

What is the right Packard for this size lens? It probably would have been cheaper to just buy a new one from Packard, I think it’s awesome that they are still in business.

John, I just measured my 11.5 Verito. The glass area matches the math. 4 into 11.5 gives 2 7/8" glass area and that's exactly what I measured. So can someone who has one of these big Copal's please measure the maximum opening. I looked on line and couldn't find that simple answer anywhere. If it's a 3 inch opening it may be usable.

I just measured my 5.6 version and the opening is 2.95”.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    I just measured my 5.6 version and the opening is 2.95”.

Roger
    Thanks Roger. Sounds like it may just be do-able. Now then, I'm curious on the big Copal units; 5.6 of what?? 5.6 of 2.95 would be a 16.5" lens. If you're working with a 240mm lens is there a way to adjust that aperture down so that 5.6 means something? Just curious. Never had one.

Thank you Jim and Roger, it sounds like it will be close but maybe not ideal. My shutter is the f4 but I'm not sure it will be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    The Galli method is interesting but, I would like something a little more predictable. Is there an Ilex or Beatex shutter that this lens could be mounted to?
    I have never seen a Betax or Ilex shutter that large.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Thanks Roger. Sounds like it may just be do-able. Now then, I'm curious on the big Copal units; 5.6 of what?? 5.6 of 2.95 would be a 16.5" lens. If you're working with a 240mm lens is there a way to adjust that aperture down so that 5.6 means something? Just curious. Never had one.
    f 5.6, but remember that the Sinar shutter control the aperture in a DB lens mount. The is no iris in the shutter itself. I have no idea if the f4.0 version has a bigger opening. But it does sound like the shutter will likely work out for the OP.