Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with Wollensak f:4, 11.5 inch Verito

Help needed with Wollensak f:4, 11.5 inch Verito

I just purchased this lens and have lots of questions. I purchased this to use on my Ebony 8x10 slw, for some soft focus portrait work.
    It has the flange but no shutter. I know it was offered when new with or without a studio shutter, someone decided to save the $5 and purchase without it. The studio would have been better than no shutter, I guess but I don’t understand the use of this shutter either.

How do you use such a fast lens without a shutter, lens cap on and off, guessing exposure?

Is there a more modern type shutter that could be adapted to this lens?

How about a lens board, what do you suggest?

Any thoughts on this lens and general advice would be greatly appreciated! You can see, I’m in way over my head!

Thanks,
    John
    www.timeandlight.com

Re: Help needed with Wollensak f:4, 11.5 inch Verito

Packard shutter. Initially you will be put off by them because they are so simple, but it's my first choice for studio, with or without strobe sync. They are very fast to operate and completely reliable. I made a box for my largest shutter that takes smaller common boards from another of my cameras in the front for any lens. In the studio I even prefer to hang shuttered lenses there and ignore their own shutters.

You can also make a sleeve to hang the Packard shutter on the front of the lens, which would put less weight on your camera.

Also search web for "Galli shutter". Search here isn't so hot....turns up too many false positives.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Thank you for some solid info, simple is good! Is there a certain Packard shutter I need to find, different sizes and such? Where does a person find one, buy a scrap lens with the right shutter? Sorry, total number here! Searching Galli shutter now.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Packard shutter. Initially you will be put off by them because they are so simple, but it's my first choice for studio, with or without strobe sync. They are very fast to operate and completely reliable. I made a box for my largest shutter that takes smaller common boards from another of my cameras in the front for any lens. In the studio I even prefer to hang shuttered lenses there and ignore their own shutters.

You can also make a sleeve to hang the Packard shutter on the front of the lens, which would put less weight on your camera.

Also search web for "Galli shutter". Search here isn't so hot....turns up too many false positives.

A Galli shutter only requires 2 dark slides. It takes a small amount of practice to use efficiently. contact Jim GAlli at Tonopah pictures

The Galli method is interesting but, I would like something a little more predictable. Is there an Ilex or Beatex shutter that this lens could be mounted to?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    Thank you for some solid info, simple is good! Is there a certain Packard shutter I need to find, different sizes and such? Where does a person find one, buy a scrap lens with the right shutter?
    Packard shutters are pretty common on eBay, but as many are pretty old, condition is a factor to consider. But they're also pretty easy to fix if you're handy at that sort of thing. Just make sure you get the right size opening, and that it has a shutter sync, if you ever plan to use a strobe with it. The fastest speed you'll get out of the larger ones is about a 30th of a second.

If you have reasonably deep pockets, you can still buy one new or have an old one serviced:

https://packardshutter.com/
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post

Is there a more modern type shutter that could be adapted to this lens?

How about a lens board, what do you suggest?
    Try this recent discussion...

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Copal-shutter
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Packard shutters are pretty common on eBay, but as many are pretty old, condition is a factor to consider. But they're also pretty easy to fix if you're handy at that sort of thing. Just make sure you get the right size opening, and that it has a shutter sync, if you ever plan to use a strobe with it. The fastest speed you'll get out of the larger ones is about a 30th of a second.

If you have reasonably deep pockets, you can still buy one new or have an old one serviced:

https://packardshutter.com/
    Thank you Mark, very surprised to see they are still in business!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Now That would be a great solution, not sure if I’m capable of building it or not?