Thread: Dallmeyer 8X10 Rapid Rectilinear

Dallmeyer 8X10 Rapid Rectilinear

I've had a friend offer me his Dallmeyer 8X10 Rapid Rectilinear, and I'm not very familiar with the Dallmeyer RR lenses. My thing has generally been Petzvals and more modern Tessars and that sort. What can you tell me about this Dallmeyer RR? Does it have a unique visual style that is desirable, or is it more ordinary? Anyone have examples made with this lens? I'd appreciate any info you might have to offer, thank you!

Paul

Dallmeyer 8X10 Rapid Rectilinear

RRs were the sharp, multi-purpose lenses of their day when softer rendering was often more usual for portraiture. It’ll be about f8 wide open. Edward Weston liked a no-name one he bought in Mexico for his creative work even though he took several other good lenses (I believe a verito was one of them) with him to Mexico.

The tessar you’re familiar with is like the rapid rectilinear’s grandson. Zeiss separates the elements of each group slightly instead of cementing them and found the lens to be better corrected that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Re: Dallmeyer 8X10 Rapid Rectilinear

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    RRs were the sharp, multi-purpose lenses of their day when softer rendering was often more usual for portraiture. It’ll be about f8 wide open. Edward Weston liked a no-name one he bought in Mexico for his creative work even though he took several other good lenses (I believe a verito was one of them) with him to Mexico.

The tessar you’re familiar with is like the rapid rectilinear’s grandson. Zeiss separates the elements of each group slightly instead of cementing them and found the lens to be better corrected that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that gives me some idea what to expect. It’ll be used mostly for wet collodion work, I expect.

I've used one for years for wetplate. They're a good, sharp lens. Not much wild character (read: aberrations).

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I've used one for years for wetplate. They're a good, sharp lens. Not much wild character (read: aberrations).
    Can you show me any examples of images made with it? Thanks!

Using half the lens, you double the focal length and loose 2 stops. You will have either a lens in front of the aperture or a lens behind the aperture. The last is how the 12" Kodak portrait lens is constructed. With a coloured filter in place, some abberation will dissappear.

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix