Finally an expert source I believe!

I have been ridiculed when posting some of my old cameras looked like OE GG reversed with ground side towards lens. T matters

https://blog.scienceandmediamuseum.o...r-photography/

Thank you Jason Lane

We all hope your Dry Plates come back into production when you have settled in your new location!

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
A quick point of correction: Glass plates in general have always focused the same distance as film. Or to more correctly say: the standard depth for a given format from the mounting surface of a film holder to image plane was standardized on the depth for plates..as of course sheet film adapters were designed to do so.

The story would stop there, but Autochromes complicated the issue of parfocality with the ground glass. The ground glass could be reversed for shooting Autochromes (which were loaded with the emulsion side facing away from the lens). In this way the photographer did not have to compensate with a slight shift after focusing. I think it was also possible to have a camera back set up specifically for Autochromes, but have not seen any record of that.

So an antique plate camera with the ground surface towards the rear may well have been owned by a photographer who shot Autochromes.