Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving away from Adobe

Re: Moving away from Adobe

[QUOTE=Barry Kirsten;1543990, but there are open source options there like Hugin.[/QUOTE]
    also ICE [image composite editor] v 2.0.3 - which I've found works really well

regards
    Tony

Photoshop was officially released in 1990. Unfortunately nothing competes with it for pixel based editing. Nothing. Maybe for people with mild needs, some of the others can fill the void but the way Ps, Lr, Premiere, Acrobat, Illustrator, etc., all work so well and so well together, if you're at all serious about your work, it doesn't make much sense to go elsewhere. And while some of the newer products have many similar functions, often times the math behind them is not at advanced and the results are inferior, but at least you're away from Adobe. Don't get me wrong, Adobe used to be a great customer oriented company but has morphed into nothing more than beancounters with the engineers shoving mostly cosmetic changes our way since subscriptions hit town. They have to do something to justify fifty three bucks a month, I guess. Perhaps someday someone will compete but today is not that day, so here we are.

I too have moved away from Ps and Lr. I really have a hard time with the monthly rent!!

I moved to Affinity Photo and it just works. The ONLY thing I miss is Lightroom's sorting and filtering tools. But once it gets down to doing the work, I have no problem with AP. The leaning curve is not at all steep if you already know Ps. It took me a couple days to get comfortable with it.

Affinity Photo may not have all of the features of Ps, but it pretty much has a way to do 90% of typical workflows. I have found that Affinity Photo may take a couple extra steps to get something done, but I'll happily spend those steps and time to break even after 5 months (2.5 months now because AP dropped their prices due to COVID-19).

I just can't justify Ps anymore. I do love it and apprciate Ps very much, but not at their very, very high price premium. I'd rather put the extra money I save into more film!!!

I'm with Darr on this. Photoshop and Lightroom are terrific programs, and there is an absolute ton of good tutorials and plugins. How much is 8x10 BW film these days? 5 bucks a sheet or so? 2 sheets a month seems well worth it. I do use Capture One for tethering, but that's not a large format activity.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    I too have moved away from Ps and Lr. I really have a hard time with the monthly rent!!

I moved to Affinity Photo and it just works. The ONLY thing I miss is Lightroom's sorting and filtering tools. But once it gets down to doing the work, I have no problem with AP. The leaning curve is not at all steep if you already know Ps. It took me a couple days to get comfortable with it.

Affinity Photo may not have all of the features of Ps, but it pretty much has a way to do 90% of typical workflows. I have found that Affinity Photo may take a couple extra steps to get something done, but I'll happily spend those steps and time to break even after 5 months (2.5 months now because AP dropped their prices due to COVID-19).

I just can't justify Ps anymore. I do love it and apprciate Ps very much, but not at their very, very high price premium. I'd rather put the extra money I save into more film!!!
    I agree with Darr & Peter, at this time I’m 4 month’s home and two more probably. So if I can save some $$ I’m happy. Perhaps I try to get the 3 free month’s from Adobe.

I'm also ended the Adobe 1 year ago, I have a CS6 version with the key's etc. which I fully paid. After changing to a new Mac they wanted money from me so it was time to switch to other and better PGMs.
    I now have Affinity, Luminar and ON1 for my RAW files and for storage, can do all whats needed and even more!

By by Adobe!!!
    Last edited by Armin Seeholzer; 4-Apr-2020 at 10:26.

Biggest problem with Adobe subscription is that one has to have the computer online every few months or it quits working. CS6 does not need that and apparently many others as well. Some I know never have their work computers online after initial installation. So - earlier versions of Photoshop or other imaging options are the solution.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I gave up Photoshop years ago and haven't missed it one bit. I currently use Lightroom 5, the standalone, one time purchase version. I find many of its features irreplaceable. I will continue to use it until some changes in how OS X works forces me to give it up. I flatly refuse to buy into Adobe's pay-as-you-play model, so if ever I'm forced to choose that model or nothing, then I am willing to give up digital photo editing and rely entirely on wet darkroom processes.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I gave up Photoshop years ago and haven't missed it one bit. I currently use Lightroom 5, the standalone, one time purchase version. I find many of its features irreplaceable. I will continue to use it until some changes in how OS X works forces me to give it up. I flatly refuse to buy into Adobe's pay-as-you-play model, so if ever I'm forced to choose that model or nothing, then I am willing to give up digital photo editing and rely entirely on wet darkroom processes.
    Before you give it up, give Affinity Photo a try. If you like Photoshop, you'll like Affinity Photo. They are so close to each other. In fact, I don't understand how there isn't a copyright infringement!!!

The pay-to-play business model has to come to an end. People just need to say no and stop encouraging it.

I'll get off the box now!