Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving away from Adobe

Question Moving away from Adobe

As most of us, I’m tight to the Adobe subscription system and I would like to move away towards Affinity

Let me explain my workflow:
    I always scan my negatives as negatives, for some reason this gives me a better result.

- For black and white I see no problem, quite easy just add an levels layer inverse the curve and done.
    - For color it’s more difficult, I scan import into Lightroom and then run Negative Lab Pro gamma correction - then Negative Lab Pro conversion. This gives for me the best result.

Has anyone here on the forum some experience with Affinity and Manual Inversion as explained by Alex Burke ?
    https://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/...-negative-film

It would be nice to get rid of the monthly payment towards Adobe :-)

Gr
    Patrick

Re: Moving away from Adobe

Patrick, do you NEED Photoshop, or can you manage just using Lightroom? (I use only Lightroom, and have done so for nearly ten years now) Because you can still buy Lightroom as a one time purchase, no subscription every month.

Does any other software besides Up to Date Photoshop, spot, fix dust, flaws, etc as well?

Prove that and many will move away from Adobe

Moments ago Adobe sent me an email, asking my opinion.

"Tell us about your experience with Adobe Photoshop!"

I won't as I don't need to feed the Dragon.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Does any other software besides Up to Date Photoshop, spot, fix dust, flaws, etc as well?
    Randy, have you ever tried the open source GIMP? For the tasks you mention, I have found it to be a great piece of software. I don't have much PS experience, so I can't make a good comparison between the two.

Yes, I tried GIMP some years ago

No comparison possible to PS

Quote Originally Posted by robshepherd View Post
    Randy, have you ever tried the open source GIMP? For the tasks you mention, I have found it to be a great piece of software. I don't have much PS experience, so I can't make a good comparison between the two.
    Tin Can

"For black and white I see no problem, quite easy just add an levels layer inverse the curve and done."

You do know there is the Command-I keyboard command which inverts your image immediately. Then you run Curves Adjustment Layers on top of that and paint in the tonal corrections where needed.

Why don't you just download the free trial and see how it works for you? It's not identical to PS so there's a little bit of learning curve, but not bad. I'm happy with it for the most part, but I use C1 instead for RAW processing and saving final output files. Happy to be free from adobe (still keep CS2 around in case I want to work on my old files).

I use a similar process to the one in the link for negatives. It's a little finicky getting the color just right, but it works. Depends how picky you are about color and how good you are at tweaking.

I've been using DxO Photolab for raw processing, online display, and for image prep for books. For that, it's fine, though it lacks something really important: proof preview.

Affinity will only use the screen profile of the primary display. That was fatal. Also, I could not get it to print as sharp as I was getting from Photolab, for reasons neither I nor the support people were able to identify. Also, Affinity does not support proofing.

So, in the end, I gave up and subscribed to Adobe when I (finally) moved to a new machine a few months ago. I think Photolab does everything I'd want to use Lightroom to do, but without the (unacceptable to me) requirement of cataloging images. So, I do most of my raw processing and basic correction in Photolab and then final targeting and printing in Photoshop. But I had to purposely disconnect it from automatically using the Adobe cloud for storage, same as with Microsoft products under Windows 10.

Rick "getting ready to make a batch of prints, given enforced home time" Denney

I have played around today with a 90 day trial, and indeed the most important feature that’s missing is the spot healing tool.
    And that’s for me the most important tool, especially for cleaning up dust.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    I have played around today with a 90 day trial, and indeed the most important feature that’s missing is the spot healing tool.
    And that’s for me the most important tool, especially for cleaning up dust.

Keep looking, it's there. Healing, blemish, inpainting, patch.