Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving away from Adobe

Re: Moving away from Adobe

Quote Originally Posted by robshepherd View Post
    Randy, have you ever tried the open source GIMP? For the tasks you mention, I have found it to be a great piece of software. I don't have much PS experience, so I can't make a good comparison between the two.
    The biggest problem I've seen is not with adapting to GIMP per se, but in not having well tuned printer drivers or printing profiles for the Epson 3880. I can get a great looking image using GIMP, but it won't print the way it looks on screen. And yes, I am using the Linux Gutenprint driver, but no way does it compare to the Windows printer software.

My opinion, if you like Photoshop and have no need to use the CC subscription for "professional" creative work, find a used copy of CS6 and transfer the license.

I've used the newer CC versions and haven't personally found any feature I couldn't live without compared to CS6.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    My opinion, if you like Photoshop and have no need to use the CC subscription for "professional" creative work, find a used copy of CS6 and transfer the license
    This! I stuck with PSCS6. It meets my needs and no monthly fee.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

I didn't realize Adobe would still transfer CS6 licenses. I was disappointed that I just missed buying CS6 before they pulled it. Don't know where I'd find a (legit) used copy though.

I would look at craigslist, or eBay but filter to USA only and put the minimum price at like, $50-75, and see what comes up. I imagine the super cheap ones are all just copies/cracked. I'm lucky I got mine through an educational discount right before they announced CC for a stupid cheap price.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Might you would be interested to get Affinity Suite FREE 90 Day Trial! (Covid-19 Offer) Offer is available for the Windows and Mac versions of Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and Affinity Publisher.

Another option is Paint Shop Pro, an under appreciated software. They only have a PC version however. I’m kind of with Paulbearden on the Lightroom suggestion. I have version 1.4 on my Mac and it is quite sufficient for my editing and cataloging needs.

https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/prod...saAv_QEALw_wcB
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

I've finally made the break with Adobe after a couple of tries. The problem was that for a long time I couldn't see an alternative to PS and particularly LR. I'm now using GIMP and Darktable, and for me Darktable is the killer LR replacement. Although I'm still learning DT I'm finding it does just about everything LR can do and in many cases does them better. And like GIMP it's open source software. Before I finally ditched Adobe I exported many images I'd worked in LR. Some of these I've opened up in DT and have been astonished to find that I've been able to improve them! There are a lot of YouTube videos on DT, but for me the pick of them are those by Bruce Williams. DT is serious gear, friends, certainly worth a look as an alternative to Adobe. I've also found GIMP a big improvement from when I last used it about 15 years ago. So far the only thing I've found that GIMP and DT can't do is panorama stitching, but there are open source options there like Hugin.

It’s difficult, I don’t’ like the whole subscription thing. But I’ve started with photoshop 1.0 when I was working at publishing company. They had Hell drum scanner, and we opened the images with version 1.0.
    On the other hand I don’t like to be lock-in in a eco-system. Pff it must be my age or these strange times.

I have been with PS since it ran as a black & white program on my little Mac back in the mid 80s. I have tried other programs, some mentioned in this thread. For me, there is nothing that compares to my workflow in PS and how LR interacts with PS, and it’s DAM system is frosting on the cake. The monthly fee of $9.99 is peanuts compared to what other things cost. Whatever gets you to the finish line.